Which way to go

GoldenMotor.com

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM
Hey there everybody! Just bought a Cranbrook 26" Cruiser from Wally World, I have read about the chinagirl kits and im not very impressed with the reviews. I have also checked out reviews on Dax and Staton which seem really solid(BulletProof) with Dax looking more tempting due to his warranties versus no warranty with Staton or Chinagirls. I learned about (FD's) and I am very interested in these. I am not sure which way to go since the (FD) kits are more expensive... But I also realize that its better to buy a kit that will last. My reason for wanting to get a motorized bicycle going is because my clutch went out on my truck and it wont be fixed for a while. I will need a means of transportation to work. Work isn't more than 15 mi. round trip so I figured an motorized bicycle would do the trick. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated .xx.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I ride a Cranbrook and I'm entirely happy with it. I'd had some doubts about whether it was tough enough or not. I no longer have those doubts. It's tough enough. You ought to do okay with yours.

Though I shouldn't even try to influence your decision, I will suggest that you don't write off the china girls too quickly. Though there are folks around who feel that they are not even good enough to be used as boat anchors there are others who love them the way we love VW Beetles and old Plymouth Valiants. Or ugly dogs. Yep, they're quirky and they're not high quality. But you really can have a beautiful relationship with them anyway.

And they have the one great virtue of being very inexpensive.

Whichever way you go, good luck and have fun.

Powertool

Jul 8, 2012
Bradford,TN.
Welcome to the forum , China girls do the job , just fine in my opinion , cheap enough if it screws up , just replace , fix old one for a spare . 1734 miles and going strong.

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM
Does anyone have any info on BoyGoFast kits from ebay, they are chinagirls for 140 buy it now free shipping, any recommendations on chinagirl kits worth buying? Also what would be the most reasonably priced FD kit worth buying?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Does anyone have any info on BoyGoFast kits from ebay, they are chinagirls for 140 buy it now free shipping, any recommendations on chinagirl kits worth buying? Also what would be the most reasonably priced FD kit worth buying?
If I were you I would buy elsewhere. I bought 4 motors from them and all of them failed in less than 700 miles. They're ok to buy parts from though.

Look at DAX, or BikeBerry motor kits. I've personally had good luck with Flying Horse Kits.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
China Girl motors all look the about the same but they're not. All of them are made in different factories. Some factories do a better job than others.

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM
So i am really thinking about going with something off of BikeBerry or Dax. Still not exactly sure on FD or CD.. I really REALLY like bikeberry's warranty and reviews. Im am about 225 and i want to be able to go at least 35-45. I do know i need to make a decision soon, work awaits

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I have a Cranbrook and a Grubee Skyhawk that I bought from Pistonbikes. Motor seems to be of fairly high quality.....no issues at all. Shipping was also very fast.

I just saw that you wish to go 35 to 40mph........well, mine tops out at 32mph with the stock 44 tooth sprocket. You may have to get a 36 tooth to meet your speed 'requirement'.......at the expense of low speed torque. Make sure you add a front brake and repack the wheel bearings on that Huffy for those speeds!

Good luck in your future build!!

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Bikeberry likes to ignore you once they have the order, and often get even simple orders wrong.
I bought one kit from bikeberry.
Never again, regardless of price.
I use mingsinternational or rose 326. (same vendor)
More than 20 kits and counting with only one bad coil (which was replaced free and fast)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
As long as you buy a kit that includes the U-bolt front mount, it will mount with no mods to the bike. (aside from some bikes needing the coaster brake arm bent to clear the ragjoint bolts.)
Also, remove the fenders before you ride!
(search the fender threads for the reason why)

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
I'm not sure why you list Staton as not providing a warranty. His gearboxes are warranted forever. You can't get better than forever. All of his motors have the factory warranty, which varies with different companies.

Staton has been selling motorized cycle equipment since 1984 and he stands behind what he sells. They do answer the phone at Staton, call him with any question you have.

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM
I'm not sure why you list Staton as not providing a warranty. His gearboxes are warranted forever. You can't get better than forever. All of his motors have the factory warranty, which varies with different companies.

Staton has been selling motorized cycle equipment since 1984 and he stands behind what he sells. They do answer the phone at Staton, call him with any question you have.
Originally i was thinking about going FD on my cranny but quickly noticed this disclaimer which ended up being one of the reasons i chose BB with a CD FH silver kit with 6 months warranty
Thanks for pointing out the info about some of his gear boxes.
If you scroll down to engine specs you will notice this

-China made 43cc Clone two Cycle engine, mix ratio is 25 to 1. This engine DOES NOT have any warranty.

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/pro...de_Drive_Bicycle_Engine_Motor_Kit-401-15.html