my new Clairmont with Grubee

GoldenMotor.com

GuyInNY

Aug 2, 2012
Rochester, NY
edit: thought i put this in 'intro yourself' - i did not! sorry, if a mod could move it i will watch myself next time.

hello all - new to the MB-ing world. bought this bike from a friend who built it and went through all the pain to get it working hahah.

first bought it, it was possessed. haha. on returning from work on day one, at the top of hill, shifting down to save my legs (motor was off) my rear derailleur somehow got all mangled. was horrible. thankfully a local bike shop did wonders for me. 50$ after they bent the hanger back+a new derailleur.

then, day or two later, rear tire blew. pretty sure was under inflated, hit a bump and popped from inside.

since fixing those, it has been great. muffler cap fell off due to vibrations, got a lottt more power. i have not since replaced it, today it drove wonderfully to work. (12-15min ride). surprisingly, its just as quiet while driving, and perhaps even quieter at idle? do you guys suggest replacing the cap, not, or getting a new muffler? i prefer to be incognito when possible.

im still running 16-1 through it, just waiting to get through 1 full gallon, then moving to 32-1. runs pretty well, a small bit of smoking today for the first time ever. buy havent driven in in 2+ weeks. i would guess im reaching 25-30 mph, as i keep up pretty well with cars. this is only with the help of going downhill though - flat surface maybe....15-20MPH? no idea how to tell! hahah

a question:
it drips gas on occasion, from the little tube at the bottom. ill snap a photo later on, but does anyone know how to rectify this? it is annoying, i arrive to work and stink like gas. granted, i change, but still. i thought perhaps it is getting too much gas and not burning it all up? i am not a 2-cycle man, still doing my reading and research. there are 2 hoses pointing up, and 1 pointing down, it is from the one pointing down.

otherwise....any advice anyone have to offer?

i am going to get rid of those terrible brake pads ASAP, will replace them with the Kool Stop ones. also going to grab the dual lever from SBP.

this is my daily driver. M-F 12-15 min journey, and 2 days a week 25 +/- miles round trip journey. soon, in 2 weeks, i will need to take it on a 40 mile journey, 1 way, so, long round trip.

any advice and help is greatly appreciated. as i said, new to it all, but certainly love the bike so far.

already had 1 crash and burn, driving behind a garbage truck, he stopped short - man those brakes really are trashy!

here is a photo of it when i purchased it, when the derailleur broke and when the tire blew hahahah. oh, the rear rack is now gone. it got mangled when the rear dr went. the front guard is off, rattled way too much. and the rear one rubs a bit on the chain, ive bent it and plan on tin snipping it, but well see how that pans out.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7fX6YYX9QeE/UBqCVhKrebI/AAAAAAAAGqM/Xu4ycXzgcW4/s912/IMG548.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-xr70Tli0hrg/UBqCUh6EE2I/AAAAAAAAGqA/zRenrdh4rRc/s720/IMG542.jpg

hopefully the other 2 links work, photos are large, let me know if they do not work.

Last edited:

Felix

Mar 26, 2012
Texas, USA.
Nice Bike GuyinNy, I'm just breaking in my grubee engine so any advice on here would help me too. Man I went thru some setbacks during the build to but it felt great riding my mb the first time last week.

GuyInNY

Aug 2, 2012
Rochester, NY
hey fellas - well bad news bears.

on the way home yesterday - motor was running and working great - i hit a bump, noise, then loose power. look down and it seemed like the chain was off. (motor chain). come to find out it was twisted and jammed.

so i biked home. got a replacement from the local bike shop, got it set up, get out to pop the clutch and nothing. i can feel it grab but theres nothing else.

not sure what to do! hahaha. i suppose start taking it apart. but i've got not a clue what im doing. i did read that the clutch adjustment has to be very precise....so i will fiddle with that. much gas leaked last night, indoors, which normally does not happen.

ill go ahead and post this in the help section - but dayyyum this sure is frustrating. think it may have been an error to use this as my daily driver to work. thankfully im on a bus line....hahahaha

thanks
~guy

GuyInNY

Aug 2, 2012
Rochester, NY
PROBLEM SOLVED

thanks to this thread and this thread ~> http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=301

adjusted the 'flower nut' about 2-3 clicks. took her out, pop pop! started right up!!

love this site

engine runs great BTW - love the little thing. i;d like to clean up the wiring. extra wires and what not.

can anyone show me some close ups of what they have done?? looking to pretty it up a bit. lol

thanks everyone

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Welcome aboard...

I gotta admit that I wouldn't have been able to answer some of your questions because I wasn't sure I understood them.

But you're already beginning to show that you don't need people to give you answers; you know where to find them.

Good job. My guess is that you'll do fine.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Welcome aboard justa heads up from what I know these things are illegal in NY state. You might look in the section dealing with laws here.

GuyInNY

Aug 2, 2012
Rochester, NY
thanks for the replies - ill try to be more clear next time with my questions. once i understand a bit more, i hope i'll get better at it! haha

george - how right you are! i had no idea. these and electric come to find out. i know where i am (upstate NY, closer to canada) i have since passed a cop or two on my way to work. so far no problems; i tend to stay away from people and only on the sidewalk when necessary. if passing people i usually turn off the motor if i can afford it. same with the people i have seen with electric bikes up here, no problems yet. bike population has really increased this year.

so, im riding the thin line and i had no idea! thanks for letting me know, now im going to get a replacement muffler sooner rather than later as the cap fell off. sure does work a whole loot better now though, bit less inconspicuous though.

just had it out for a ride around and to the store. working wonderfully. i only get concerned as to if i have too much or not enough tension on the chain - especially after the last incident where it wrapped.

thanks again
auflg

edit: now i am seeing what i believe to be an update to the law that it needs to be registered as a scooter. sooner or later ill figure it out - may just head to the local dmv on tuesday!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I just heard a few say they can be tough on ya there...a lot of people get by dummy peddlin so you look like you are peddling and hit the kill switch when you see a cop. It's pretty lame to outlaw these things.