Hi from MAINE. How far/long is safe to ride 2 stroke before resting motor???

GoldenMotor.com

motovator

May 16, 2012
Southern Maine
Just posted my first build on cruiser thread..its a sexy white w/ black Schwinn.Need to know how far/long i can drive my 2 stroke 66cc engine until i need to stop for a motor cool down??? Plz reply. thx. Also wondering if there r fellow Mainers here ?? Im planning a trip from Old Orchard Beqach to Portland 2day. :D

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I ride 20-30 minutes, let cool down to the touch, and repeat during the first gallon @ 20:1 mix then go to 32:1 after that . This is on the bikes that I have installed a HT.

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I have never bothered with killing the engine for cooldown. If I think it's getting hot during break-in, I will slow down with lower power setting for a few munites though.

After break-in , there's no need at all for a cooldown period. I've run mine (several) for hours at a time, never burnt one up yet.

I broke all od them in with 32:1 dino oil and switched to 50:1 after that. Still no probs.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
With a new I do short rides which gets the engine up to temp varying throttle and rpm settings including going to full throttle The reason I do short ride isn't for the engine, its to ensure that everything else is working as it is and to remedy the usual chain stretch, loose bolts, etc.etc.. issues. I would avoid long rides on a new bike until you get at least 30 minutes or so riding around your neighborhood. You'll be amazed by the amount of things you need to tweek initially particularly if you just slapped the motor on without performing many of the recommended tweeks as part of the engine isntall.

zeeohsix

Jul 6, 2012
Long Island, NY
I see you're all posting 20:1, 32:1 and 50:1 mixtures--my "owner's manual" (the broken English translated from Chinese kind) says to break it in with 16:1 oil and after the break in to use 20:1? Is that normal?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I see you're all posting 20:1, 32:1 and 50:1 mixtures--my "owner's manual" (the broken English translated from Chinese kind) says to break it in with 16:1 oil and after the break in to use 20:1? Is that normal?
The 16 -20:1 mix was the old school mix when we didn't have modern 2 stroke oils and we used non detergent 30weight. The China directions are mostly to cover their arses. Hard to seize one with that much oil, even if the fuel mixture is a little lean.

A good safe mix with air cooled non syntetic oil is 40:1. The ultralight guys get as much as 1200 hours on their engines with 50:1 aircooled oil, and they run them nearly WOT continuosly. I have been using 50:1 in everything 2 stroke I own for the last 20 years. Never had any failures from lack of lube.

zeeohsix

Jul 6, 2012
Long Island, NY
The 16 -20:1 mix was the old school mix when we didn't have modern 2 stroke oils and we used non detergent 30weight. The China directions are mostly to cover their arses. Hard to seize one with that much oil, even if the fuel mixture is a little lean.

A good safe mix with air cooled non syntetic oil is 40:1. The ultralight guys get as much as 1200 hours on their engines with 50:1 aircooled oil, and they run them nearly WOT continuosly. I have been using 50:1 in everything 2 stroke I own for the last 20 years. Never had any failures from lack of lube.
40:1 with non synthetic...I've been using 2 Stroke smokeless semi-synthetic from AutoZone. Is 40:1 still a safe mix with semi-synthetic?