Just bought a Bikebug

GoldenMotor.com

superhawk

Sep 14, 2008
Just bought a Bikebug from my local Craigslist for $75 including the bicycle, it seems to be complete.What u don't see in the photo I have in a box(muffler, gas tank, engine shroud ,roller shield). The gas tank has many pin hole leaks and quite rusty and needs replacement. A manual would be useful to see if any parts are missing, the closest parts diagram I got is from a Tas 1.2 outboard.
I know about Mike Shneider's site, I see he sell a $25 package for literature and if I read it right, he won't sell u any parts unless u buy the literature first.
Can anyone tell me if any of the parts from the outboard the same as the Bikebug and anyone have a gas tank for sale?
BTW anyone needs a copy of owners' manual for a Tas 1.2 outboard, pm me.

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I believe the outboard manual will get you close.

I would not buy a thing from that guy! He spammed me out big time when I was listing a bug on ebay! A buy in on a bicycle motor?!?

You have a Tanaka 23 cc engine I believe, you may contact the company and try to get some info.

I would look for a tank on ebay, but better luck just making a replacement.

You will have to re-build the carb I'm guessing and the one way valve can be repaired, replaced or substituted with various things, like a check ball of appropriate size.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Compression?
Spark?

Your wheel isn't too bad yet, I have seen worse and I have seen better. You can replace it with a skate wheel of appropriate axle diameter.

superhawk

Sep 14, 2008
Thanks Bikeguy Joe for the info, actually it did run briefly when I looked at before I bought it.I plan to go thru the fuel system and probably cut out the rusty part of the gas tank and solder a patch in.I'll bead blast the inside while the tank is opened up.