Gas Tank Sealer Recommendations.

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I am looking for recommendations for a tank sealer

I have in the past used a product from Por-15 but have been disappointed with the results. The last tank I did had a small leak the appeared after I filled the tank with gas. After calling Por-15 to find out what I can clean the tank with and reapply this product I was told that the liner would have to be completely removed from the inside of the tank (impossible) The reason is the Por-15 will not adhere to itself. Now is that the S_it or what.

Can someone help with advice…?

Thanks,

culvercityclassic

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i've tried the por15, cream, the red stuff, just about all the sealers and found noting beats caswells sealer, you will need to get the por15 out of the tank to recoat it. you can use aircraft paint remover inside the tank to get it out, then wash the tank out with acetone then with soapy water, then put some screws or nuts and bolts in there and shake it around untill its clean. heres a link to caswell
Caswell Inc. - Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i use Kreem. the kit comes with a metal etching tank prep, tank cleaner, and the coating.

one kit has done 4 tanks so far, and there's still enough for at least one more.

i think with any sealer, you'll have to remove the old stuff first.

haven't had any leaks yet.

it's about 30 bucks a kit, and it's available at most motorcycle shops, ebay, etc...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Question: If the tank is actually rusted through in places that will show when painted; will Kreem effect the paint job? I have a great looking little motorcycle tank but it has rust holes on the side where the tank must have laid with water in it. I'd like to use this tank but I'm concerned about trying to get a good paint job on the area where the sealer will undoubtedly seep through while curing. Is Kreem sandable/paintable?
Tom

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
Tom ive used it before..You could put a little melted lead in there . or braze it up. The Kream is pretty thick so I think you'd be alright. if its just a pin hole or a couple pin holes? It dries pretty hard so im thinking you could sand it then hit it with some spot putty or primer

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have just used Kreem for the first time. Was very impressed. But that is the extent of my experience with sealers. But worked, worked well and had enough to do 2 more tanks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks, Scott. You probably know which tank I'm talking about. When I ran it through the bead blaster there were eight or ten pin holes in the left side. I stuck the blaster nozzle inside the tank and that's when they really opened up. This looks like a winter project. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the tank too. :)
Tom

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
Tom when i did mine it was def. a winter project these old tanks dont wear to great once the gas is gone ,good luck i hope you get it to where you can use it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Baird and Scott. Thanks for the advice, guys. This is really a cool little tank so I'd like to save it and use it. Looks just like a smaller version of my Yamaha 80 tank. I'll try your suggestions and let you know what happens. I'm not sure I'd try JB but I have some Devcon Liquid Steel that might work. Its a little hard to work with after it cures but I'm sure it will hold up to the task.
Tom

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
hey tom, i know this may sound strange coming from me, but i've repaired pinholes in gas tanks with JB weld, then used Kreem. fixed a buddy's honda CT90 tank awhile back and it's still holding.
Yeah, same here. I repaired a peanut tank where the welded on stud formed a crack from stress and vibration....it's still holding as well and is paintable.

That was just JB weld and not Kreemed. I've also sealed leaky petcocks with just 5 min. 2-part clear epoxy....still holding strong.

Last edited:

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
hmmmm.... ive had good luck with kreem so far.....from the consistency of it i wouldnt try to patch anything larger than the size of a pencil eraser. else youll have a big mess on your hands/carpet/tile floor. I dont think its really meant for anything more than a couple mm thick tank lining. as it gets a little brittle when dry....

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
hey tom, i know this may sound strange coming from me, but i've repaired pinholes in gas tanks with JB weld, then used Kreem. fixed a buddy's honda CT90 tank awhile back and it's still holding.
I knew you would come around. That stuff is too awsome to not use on something.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I wanted to thank everyone for the input on my problem tank.

I just said FI on this due to the product I used having to be removed before i could re-coat the inside.

I ended up just tig welding all the pin-holes and then added a little air-brush work to the tank...

The bottom line is por-15 is out and I will try Kream next time.

culvercityclassic

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I wanted to thank everyone for the input on my problem tank.

I just said FI on this due to the product I used having to be removed before i could re-coat the inside.

I ended up just tig welding all the pin-holes and then added a little air-brush work to the tank...

The bottom line is por-15 is out and I will try Kream next time.

culvercityclassic
Thanks for posting about por-15. I was considering trying it but will stick with kreem.

Really is a cool thing that we have a way to discuss things like this. (Thanks again Paul and Mods!)((I am waiting for a chance to use a ModSquad joke))

On another thread I had asked about a welder I was considering getting. Got a ton of good information and answers to questions I didn't know I had yet. (I am a complete novice to them)

Just good to know you guys

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
2door, not that i am an expert with rusted tanks (only because i seal them when they are new, so never had this problem), but let me say this. you could follow bairdco's suggestion, which is perfectly reasonable, and i am in no way trying to shoot down his advice, or you could solder the holes. if you decide to solder, i would buy the 3 step kreem kit, clean and etch the tank, let it dry, then solder it, then seal it, then paint it. it should be bulletproof after that.