Silence my bike

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Dan - I think yer talkin' about an exhaust cutout... somewhat common on street rods (but illegal heheh) which if installed after an expansion chamber on a two stroke - but before the muffler(s) on either a 2 or a 4 stroke - allows you to open a bypass to achieve full flow (and noise) or close it for that "stealthy" approach.

If I thought there'd be enough of a gain on these lil bikes - I'd do it meself with a ball valve, cable and a thumb shifter...

hmm... :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Exactly wut I was thunking BA! (wish folks would stop inventing stuff b4 I get around to inventineg stuff!) That really would work. Just did my payday shopping list and it just got longer. I need a 4th job now, Or just one real one. (naw, they might expect me to accentually work then)

Does any one know the ball park heat range of the header on a 2 smoke? I think it would be hotter then a 4 stroke. Will try this Tues or Wed. and will report. Stock hoses (heat) seem to go up to around 350F but could do some thing so as not in direct contact with the metal....... hmmmmm

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
A longer pipe works on the same principle as a horn- it takes more volume of air (or gasses) to make it louder- bottom line, a longer pipe is quieter.

Here's one on e-bay

motorized gas engine bike extension muffler chrome new - eBay (item 260606266915 end time Jun-18-10 16:58:36 PDT)

I have one, I had to cut to fit, and extended with can alluminum- it's been improved since this picture, with two hose clamps on each end of aluminum extension (24 ounce cans are really long!) and wrapped with chrome tape to seal the seam- it really works pretty good- much quieter now.

Attachments