how to reduce intake noise?

GoldenMotor.com

Howitt

Jun 7, 2008
I am wondering if anyone has had success in modifying their air intake so that the noise emitted from there is dramatically reduced? If so how did you do it?

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
Drat!. you asked this before I've even started!!! Because Of all the flats I've gotten to de-commission my ride, I'm concentrating elsewhere.
But next up is an intake muffler. I'm thinking similar dimensions as an exhaust muffler, only on the intake. Similar center tube, drilled and crimped, in the middle enclosed within a can.....with a large, nearly 2 inch hose to conect to the existing carb......
Drat..... I wish my ride was rideable so I could work with the noise!!!

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
Hmm....You could always stick another piece of filter in there. On mine I hardly hear the intake with the factory setup. My brothers frame is too small and there is no intake on his...just a mesh screen with glue lol.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I am wondering if anyone has had success in modifying their air intake so that the noise emitted from there is dramatically reduced? If so how did you do it?

Mine makes so many other noises.....or rather the exhaust note is THE noise on my bike, don't notice intake noise. I certainly wouldn't do anything to restrict air flow.

Just get an expansion chamber.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The key to a good intake silencer is volume and a couple of baffles like you'd find in a tanker...not like you'd find in a muffler.