how much rust is too much for inside your gas tank?

GoldenMotor.com

stpwellington

Jul 31, 2009
chicago
because there is plenty in mine. what should i do? ive read to use a shop vac but this just seems like it would be useless. is there supposed to be a tolerable amount in there or should i try and get a replacement? any help would be much appreciated. this is my first built btw, im outside trying to slap it together as we speak!

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
If it was really nasty I would ask for a replacement. Some crust and rust is normal, and treatable. Get out as much as you can, then put a bunch of clean screws, nuts, BB's, chain, etc in the tank and shake the heck out of it. This gets most of the crusty stuff. Then spray with PB Blaster or Kroil a few times, double rinse with premix gasoline and you should be good to go.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
If it can't be made completely, 100% clean with a couple hours of diluted toilet bowl cleaner, then get a new one.

How much cancer is too much?

stpwellington

Jul 31, 2009
chicago
i sprayed it with wd40 and used a brush to get a bit of it off. what is pb blaster and kroil exactly? any different or better than wd40? and what do you mean by premix lol im a newbie.

by diluted toilet bowl cleaner i assume you mean with water. what kind of toilet bowl cleaner would you think to use? ive been using clorox for my toilets, which im sure contains bleach, and im not sure about using that.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
i sprayed it with wd40 and used a brush to get a bit of it off. what is pb blaster and kroil exactly? any different or better than wd40? and what do you mean by premix lol im a newbie.

by diluted toilet bowl cleaner i assume you mean with water. what kind of toilet bowl cleaner would you think to use? ive been using clorox for my toilets, which im sure contains bleach, and im not sure about using that.
PB Blaster and Kroil are also spray penetrants/rust removers, in a class above WD-40. But don't knock yourself out finding them. Problem with a brush is you can't reach all the areas. Premix is fuel oil mix.

Can't comment on the toilet water. Never tried.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I have used hydrochloric acid based toilet bowl cleaner for this exact issue- but it is a lot stronger than you think- 1/4 strength or less would probably work. It will etch the tank. After the hydrochloric acid, a wash with a phosphoric acid metal prep will prevent flash rust and help prevent re-rusting overall.

Different approaches- I'm sure Pablo's will work, I just know that I have done it this way.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Course sand or small pea gravel will also work. A couple of cups, shake the tank hard until your arms get tired then pour out the sand/gravel and rinse well wth hot water. Compressed air will help dry the tank after the water but make sure you get all the sand out. If you have access to a sand blaster (bead blast) that also works good but again rinse until you know the sand is all gone.
Tom

bikedownunder

Feb 16, 2013
Australia
If you use WD-40 get a rust fuel proventitive to rince through it afterwards. It will mix badly with hot water and will never fully leave the tank and leave pockets of water and WD-40 in the tank. WD-40 was made in the 50's for use with missiles and rockets ready for the war. The name WD-40 came from the product itself. Water displacement #40 (because their first 39 attempts failed) and the main ingredient is fish oil. Have a look on the web what CAN happen when fish oil and water in small amounts mixed with 2 stroke oil and fuel can do to a bike. Fish oil wont dilute with petrol and sits on top so if you run your tank dry it can be all your engine will get. Had dramas with my yamaha yz80 from doing the same thing. Sorry for the trivia lol. Bdu