Chop Cut Rebuild ......the movie.. lol

GoldenMotor.com

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Ok so heres my next thing to drive myself nuts working on. Ever since I ran into the mini velos I thought man those would be wild with a motor....but at around 800 a pop I'll never find out. So I started measuring up the frames in sketchup and it seems to me that they were close to full size frames with 20 inch wheels. The head tube and steer tube is stretched to use the 20 inch fork. Well thats my story and IM sticking to it. lol So I took an old 24 inch bike and started cutting away. Cut the head tube in half and added about 4 or 5 inches. Moved the down tube and stretched the steerer tube to match the head tube. Kept the chain stay at level and tried to keep the head tube at I thik 74 degrees or somewhere around that. But heres some pictures and please comment away, and yes I know my welding bites but IM getting better....lol
Terry

Attachments

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
man you got some skills, I just sometimes feel i dont have the patience to do this kinda build, my equipment is all for heavy machinery, from a arc welder to super sized grinders . I may have to set my shop up just alittle different and try my hand at one of these builds. You give me inspiration for sure. And I love your gas tank on that white bike in the background. That was pure genius there.

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Thats why pictures dont tell all...commander. I have a cheap 200 dollar mig with gas. A side grinder 6 inch cut off wheels for one a lot of files and sand paper and bondo. Eventually it will all even out.....after alot of sanding and filing that is...
But one of my favorite tools is the old pipe cutter keeps things squared up pretty well. If you noticed though I left the top tube and half of the head tube in place and used it to help keep things in line. But heres a pic of what IM kinda shooting for with this and a pic of the white tank you were talking about..its not perfect but looks ok.

Attachments

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Cool, you know since you like to fab. gas tanks . try this . That black bike has so much height under the top bar . Make a seamless tank under it like my make shift drawing of your bike.

Yea , to make fabricating alittle easier I should pick up a mig welder myself. I have a tig/stick combo welder and also a generator arc welder . My Tig would be even better quality than a mig , but at times it is a hassle to set up . So i grab the stick welder and use my grinders to tool it down to look better .

also here is a picture of my rig if your interested , it has more tools than my work shop in it . lol

Attachments

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
See theres the problem you have to do it for a living so it takes the fun out of doing it for fun. Your right the tig would be the best and I wish I had one. I had a tank like that. They make one that fits under the bar I think I traded mine to BikeGuyJoe he needed one for a project that I never got to see.
My main problem is I have to form by hand by vise by myself...Habor Freight has a shear slip roller break combo for 400 bucks that I want then I would be in biz ness....Theres one other Indian that the tank has been a pain in my butt for a year now and I just cant form it with what I have. I have started it but I need a slip roller to finish it.
I built up a test bike with a jackshaft kit and dual gears going to it that I could probably do some insane speed that I think would hurt me...lol. But I keep getting closer to it. Someday ... someday

Attachments

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Oh man that tank is cool, but it does look relatively easy to build. the easiest way would be to use 5 -6 inch thin wall steel pipe and two steel gas funnels. just cut the nipples off the funnels and weld it all together to fit the top bar .

Can you imagine seeing that contraption running down the road ? what a thing of beauty that bike is . and too think it was made over 100 years ago.

and yea its true Jezusjonz, it is my way to make a living,but welding and fabricating is also my passion so I have so damn much fun at work that I still have the energy to build things when i get home also. But tooling up for bike making is so different than what im used to doing that is the reason it is alot of fun for me personally to do stuff like these bikes. But I will never get as fancy as some of these builds I have seen, mainly due to time limitations and I hate projects that take me alot of hours to complete . My first build was done in 7 or so hours and my second was done in 4 hours. Thats enough time to enjoy what I built and also have a couple brews while Im doing something so fun ya know.

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Sounds like were 2 of a kind. I have been that way most of my life and kinda still am but IM trying to break that get it done as soon as you can mode. One way I am breaking it is that I just make a large project a bunch of small ones that i can get done fast and then after you get them all done you've put the right amount of time in.
That dang tank though has to sit down on the top tube about 3 inches.(see pic) so I need to roll the tank skin and ends. The ends would only be a cover and not part of the tank. I found some old Gravley tanks on ebay that are 7 by 12 and all I would have to do is tunnel it and form the ends but I'll just wait something will come along or the wife will get tired of me talking about that combo shear slip roller and buy it for me.
I did have one more option was to form it out of fiberglass and then make the oil tank the gas tank one for show and one for go.....
later

Attachments

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
ps if I could find 18 to 20 inches of 6 inch thin steel wall pipe I would almost be there with what I have already built of it.
Terry

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Yea Terry, I dont think i would make it exactly like they did in 1908 , i would just cut one side of the pipe and wrap it around the bar then shape the cone ends using possibly the metal funnel idea and also cut one side to wrap around the bar and weld it all in place and use some nice sanding grinders for all the finishing touches. I would just incorporate the bike frame as part of the structure of the tank. But man the work they had to do when this bike was made is unbelievable. and the craftsmanship is so stunning it kinda takes my breath away .

and yea we are alot alike by the sounds of it , and my wife also gets kinda bored with all my shop talk too . haha

your local scrap yard will have what ya need as far as pipe goes im sure.But a shear/rolloer combo you talked about seems the most professional way to make tanks anyways .

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Yea I did the exhaust on that one. Handlebars are excellent donors for building exhausts plus I shortened the can and the baffles inside also...cant wait to paint it black this summer...Im hoping the frame works out. Its my first attempt and moding a frame so IM still in a learning curve.
Terry
ps did ya get your batteries yet?

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Here's a few shots of the frame with 20 inch wheels on it. After realizing I set the frame up for a NON shocked front fork I gained about 3 inches of height in the front which seems to be ok for the mountain bike route. So after enjoying this mistake IM going to make this a two version bike one thats a mountain bike set up and a road bike. Need to make a new front fork which will bring it back the top tube back down to level (I hope) and road handle bars. The seat should be fine for both applications.
Waiting on a new set of rims 20X1.75 with a 6 speed rear cluster then set up the rear brakes. I've tested it around the driveway a bit just to see how it feels and it has a nice set to it. Still has the full size bike feel with smaller tires. Well it is a 24 inch frame that basically I lowered the head tube and down tube on it....later

Attachments

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Well heres the bike all put together for testing. Ride is good feel is still the feel of a 24 inch bike BUT 3 good pedals and she'll come right off the ground. Since adding the 6 speed rear wheel and 3 up front it really makes it touchy. My intent was to put a jackshaft kit on it but I might have to rethink this a bit. I might be able to go to a non shocked front fork and drop the front down a bit and make it less wheelie capable. Who knows just love building and learning what NOT to do...lol. Going to set up a motor and see what things look like soon.
Terry

Attachments

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Well I finally finished my mini velo bike. I decided against a motor cause after looking around my house I have no bikes left to ride for myself with no motors and after pedaling my Indian copy home the other day cause I forgot to put gas in it....well like I said this ones not going to get a motor....sorry. Hope you like the end result..anyway
Terry

Attachments

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Ahh Max the first post was back in April..... and besides your instructional on the tank you did will get more views than my motorless bike...lol.