Hello from San Diego

GoldenMotor.com

DearthVader

Mar 5, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've been checking out this forum everyday for about two weeks now and with each day I become more and more excited about owning a motorized bicycle.

A four stroke engine is a must for me for a whole host of reasons. Overall I think the idea of mounting an engine inside the frame near the center of gravity is better than mounting over the rear wheel. With that said, I believe I've settled on the Skyhawk Stage III from bicycle-enginesdotcom. (sorry, since I'm a new member the forum won't let me post links)

The Schwinn Jaguar looks like a good platform to mount the engine. As most of you know the Jaguar has 7 speeds. I would like to retain the 7 speed option if at all possible in case the engine decides to die. If I choose to purchase the freewheel sprocket & HD axle kit from bicycle-enginesdotcom, am I going to loose the ability to utilize the 7 speed sprocket that comes with the Jaguar?

Standing by for your response....

Josh

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Josh, welcome.
Is funny, eh? the kid at Christmas effect.
Some fine choices there.
Is this the one you are looking at? I have no experience with it but some one will.

Freewheel Sprocket & HD Axle Kit w/Brake Freewheel Sprocket & HD Axle Kit w/Brake - $49.99 Kit includes a freewheel sprocket, heavy duty axle, and drum brake. For use with StarFire and SkyHawk bicycle engine kits. Please specify either 44, 48, or 56 tooth sprocket.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I couldn't find it Josh. some one will know or could give them a give a call or an email. they are great to deal with. Very friendly and helpful.

DearthVader

Mar 5, 2009
San Diego, CA
I sent a message off to bicycle-enginesdotcom and received a reply literally within five minutes.

If I choose the HD axle option I will lose the option to use a multi-gear sprocket.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I sent a message off to bicycle-enginesdotcom and received a reply literally within five minutes.

If I choose the HD axle option I will lose the option to use a multi-gear sprocket.
Ahh, not good. You really want gears. (I run out of gas about once a month and have to peddle home) You have decided on a good foundation and think going stock for now will do fine. One of the really great things about building these things is your not stuck with any decisions and can swap out components when ever you want.

Tyrslider here does custom wheels. He is who I ask about this stuff. http://motorbicycling.com/members/tyrslider/

Last edited:

DearthVader

Mar 5, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ahh, not good. You really want gears. (I run out of gas about once a month and have to peddle home) You have decided on a good foundation and think going stock for now will do fine. One of the really great things about building these things is your not stuck with any decisions and can swap out components when ever you want.

Tyrslider here does custom wheels. He is who I ask about this stuff. http://motorbicycling.com/members/tyrslider/
I agree...going stock is a good way to start and then if I have a need for an upgrade the option is always there.