I got hit by a car today on my MB.

GoldenMotor.com
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Please be careful out there everyone. I got side swiped by an SUV today and went down at about 35mph. Please be careful out there everybody, it's an extremely fun hobby but not without risks. I am laying in the hospital waiting on cat scan and xray results. I am pretty hurt but nothing to serious I hope. Anyway just be safe everyone.

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Hope someone stopped or at least for the other drivers info!!

Make sure to post pictures of you can......usually a visual for people will remind them how serious am accident on these can be.

Take it slow and heal up......

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I'm so sorry to hear about that LandSpeedRecord, I hope your injuries turn out to be minimal and you can get back riding soon. I really like your high speed motorbike experimentation and hope you keep it up!

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Thanks everybody. I'm about to get released from the hospital. Three broken ribs and some road rash but not too bad. The driver that hit me didn't stop. A car that was oncoming and saw it happen stopped and asked if I was ok. I said I was fine and they left. I have been thru many crashes racing in controlled environments. I knew I wasn't injured too bad and had some adrenaline and shock to help me get up and get to work as long as the bike was ridable. The bike only got scratches and the handle bar twisted. I'm getting older and heal slower but will ride as long as I can crawl and climb onto a motorcycle or anything with wheels and a motor.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, landspeedrecord.

But I'd caution you not to discuss the accident on an internet forum. Lawyers have been known to use that info to the posters disadvantage.

I'm not expert enough to know just how they do that. But I've heard of it before.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I just want everyone to be alert and safe. I wish we could have a world without cars sometimes. Keep the rubber side down everyone. I have really come to care about the members of this forum and if I can have any part in making motor bicycling better, safer, more fun, anything, I want to do it.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
going the speed of traffic is imho the safest way to go. but 35mph on a MAB in arizona is er, illegal. be careful, don't mix it up with 5,000 lb cars. heal up.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Really sorry to hear about this.

Unfortunately, I feel this is a part of riding any motorized bicycle or actual motorcycle. I know everyone has heard this before, but I feel like you have to ride as if no one can see you. I especially keep this in mind whenever I enter an intersection with stop lights. I try as much as possible to enter the intersection with another car as a buffer going in my direction. Whenever I enter an intersection alone, I am staring at that opposing traffic left hand turn lane, because they are not looking for a bike usually.

But even riding alongside any car, they usually are not aware you are there, so I just expect them to enter my lane at any moment.

I am glad to hear your injuries are manageable and that the bike is not too messed up. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Gilbert

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I actually have this bike set up as a motorcycle with my insurance company but will not be filling anything or anything like that. I just wanted to put out a reminder to the community to be safe. Weather or not I was at any fault I just want to share so maybe someone reads it and is extra careful. I was in the left tire track of the lane and going the speed limit I believe. In the bike lane we are limited to 20 but I flow with traffic when there is no bike lane and I'm forced to ride in traffic. I am getting close to 100000 motorcycle miles under my belt and did not expect this. The SUV came inside me at probably 40 and side swiped my right handlebar.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I went down pretty hard and fast but rolled enough that it wasn't too bad. Again I may or may not have fault with the way our laws are written, I just want to say be careful out there. The build I am in the middle of now will have pedals but also be tagged. Kind of a a strange thing with AZ law allows pretty much anything with a few small add ons operate as a motor vehicle. Best wishes all. I am going to try and get comfortable and sleep a while. I am going to be hurting at work tomorrow for sure.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
That's terrible, people should drive like they have a lick of sense.
I've had a couple near misses and I ride like I'm invisible and all that.
Sometimes there is no apron along the road, the curb is right there, the cars have to go out and around, it's a bad scene.
Motorbikes are to stay below 20 here, so if you are obeying the law you are a traffic hazard at all times.
They won't allow mab's on bike paths around here either, which seems stupid to me.
I guess they prefer rolling roadblocks out in rush hour traffic.
Here's hoping your ribs ease up real soon. They really hurt when you laugh, huh.
No jokes around LSR please.
;-)

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Glad you are ok LSR
WOW. a 35 mph dump and the bike was still rideable? Whats it made of kevlar & titanium I dumped one at about 10 -15 mph and practically had to scrap it.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Man sorry to hear that!! Hope you heal up quickly and completely... I know what broken ribe feel like... no fun at all. I've been on 2 wheels most my life as well and more so than 4 wheels so I've had my share of close calls and been hit by a car before, but not that bad, I was just rear ended at a stoplight while on the Harley but at first thought the clutch just engaged somehow since I was launched about 5 feet forward before I realized what happened so I was able to keep the bike up, and it wasn't until I looked at one of my mirrors and saw nothing but grille that I realized I was hit.
I've only had one accident on a motorized bicycle and that one did hurt, but it was no where near as bad as what happened to you on yours... front wheel locked up over a patch of lose gravel and threw me off at about 20mph and I landed belly first and slid to a stop so most of it was just road rash and I was sore for a few days. I just hope you can heal up quickly and your bike gets fixed shortly afterwards, just be careful with the broken ribs and try not to cough or laugh too much, and take it easy as much as you can while healing up.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Update. Bike is amazingly ok just scratches on the seat, brake lever and straightened the bars. It's my only transportation so I had to ride it to the Dr's office this morning. The ER doctor prescribed me tramidol so that is helping a lot with the ribs. My hands hurt really bad while riding though, I wish I had more days to heal before going back to work but I can't afford time off. Dr released me to light duty but no lifting over 20lbs. Talked to the boss in the middle of this post and he said he planned for me to have another day off so I'm going to take it and rest.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Good deal. For me, the day after a crash always hurts the worst.
I always seem to bang up a knee, every time.
(I wrecked motorcycles a few times when I was younger. Well, 5 times...)
haha
Glad your bike is ok, that's something good anyhow.