Battery box

GoldenMotor.com

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
So I need to get a battery box made to power the front and rear light. This way I'm not depending on the small capacity AAA batteries for the front light and the watch like battery powering the rear light.

So first I got some small 22 gauge stainless steel sheets and started cutting away.

Here is what I have so far.

I'm just going to pop rivet the thing together and have a door on the other side so I can have access to the inside.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lookin' good, FDM. Took some time to get it that perfect, eh? Adds to the look of your bike, too. Cuts well over the tire.

I have been wanting to do something like that tied to a solar panel. Just can't cut with snips to save my life, lol. (if thats how you cut that pc.)

Looking forward to seeing your end work

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
Thanks Dan.

Yea after a few busted scroll saw blades I went to the hardware store and bought some metal sheers. Makes cutting that 22 ga much easier. Whatever I could not quite get with the sheers I simply filed to shape.

This is how far I got last night. For only having pliers, a vise and hammer to shape this I think it's turning out alright.

Talk about a snug fit, wow. I thought I left me a bit more wiggle room but I guess once the surrounding walls were fabricated that distance shrunk down a bit. I still have between an 1/8 to 3/16" clearance between the tire and box though.

Last edited:

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
That is some nice fabbin there, FD! It looks great.
I was just reading about the threat of fenders breaking loose and jamming wheels, and it occurred to me that your box poses a similar threat.
I bet you have it mounted better than a stock fender anyhow.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is some nice fabbin there, FD! It looks great.
I was just reading about the threat of fenders breaking loose and jamming wheels, and it occurred to me that your box poses a similar threat.
I bet you have it mounted better than a stock fender anyhow.

Wow. That is a thought and a half, Slogger. Loaded with batts, that would lock the wheel up tight if it let go.

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
Yes I was reading about the fenders of death also a week or so ago. That being noted the top of the box is secured with the same bolt and lock nut that secures the seat brace. I will however also do a seat post brace for the lower portion of the box. I'm thinking that should do it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I was just sitting here thinking about this, FD. A u-bolt would be easy and cheap at the bottom.

Kinda shivered when ya said that, slogger.

Normally when riding down the road, the rear wheel locking up is not a catastrophic failure. But in a turn or unexpected, is a really bad day.

This is just a safety thing I do and really does seems to work. (for me any way) I don't design for me. I imagine letting a friend, stranger or anyone else ride a bike I designed and built. Sounds dumb but helps me stay away from the "good enough". Only 2 or sometimes 3 skinny wheels between us and bouncing of the tarmac.

Sorry and this safety minded moment was brought to you by the exxnon corporation, the letter "M" and no other apparent reason.

r.ly.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I was just sitting here thinking about this, FD. A u-bolt would be easy and cheap at the bottom.

Kinda shivered when ya said that, slogger.

Normally when riding down the road, the rear wheel locking up is not a catastrophic failure. But in a turn or unexpected, is a really bad day.

This is just a safety thing I do and really does seems to work. (for me any way) I don't design for me. I imagine letting a friend, stranger or anyone else ride a bike I designed and built. Sounds dumb but helps me stay away from the "good enough". Only 2 or sometimes 3 skinny wheels between us and bouncing of the tarmac.

Sorry and this safety minded moment was brought to you by the exxnon corporation, the letter "M" and no other apparent reason.

r.ly.
To me, that's what forums are for. Solving problems, getting input and fresh insights. The power of the hive-mind, so to speak. We're all learning from one another, and it's free!
haha

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thats a cool thunk, Slogger. "Hive-mind Powered" Did ya ever read about or study "Lean Manufacturing"? A huge portion is to listen and learn. way involved but so well worth a read. If I remember correctly, kizan (But think I am wrong) listen to those who do" sort of deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_manufacturing

We live in great times. In very huge hives...

Didn't mean to ramble on your thread, FDM

Last edited: