gas fumes?

GoldenMotor.com

stars

Mar 10, 2014
philadelphia
after riding my bike the gas fumes starts stinking up my house. any ideals to get rid of gas fumes or at least lower the smell of it?

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
One option.... Before you shut it down, close the petcock at the tank and let the engine burn off the gas in the float bowl.. it might take a minute, but that should help.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
One option.... Before you shut it down, close the petcock at the tank and let the engine burn off the gas in the float bowl.. it might take a minute, but that should help.
That's a good idea to do anyway because if you get into a situation where you can't ride for a few weeks or so you don't want that gas in there to gum up the carb, I've seen carbs get gummed bad enough that they need to be disassembled and cleaned from sitting in as little as 3 weeks (on rare occasions) but it usually happens when someone puts up their motorcycle for the winter and forgot to drain the carb. It's just a good habit to get into either way.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Personally I don't feel it's a good idea to take a gas powered motorized bicycle into your house. A garage is a little different in that they are usually, or should be, built to code with the electrical elevated off the floor. A garage is designed to contain a fire to some degree but your house isn't.
If gas fumes are as strong as you say they have no business inside your house. That's asking for trouble.

Even with the fuel petcock turned off and the carb drained, the fuel tank is vented to the atmosphere. That means fumes can/will escape. Not good.

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I agree there... I wouldn't store anything with gasoline in it inside the house, just too risky and if the bike tips over for any reason these cheap gas caps we got on these won't stop the gas from leaking out all over the floor... very dangerous.

The garage is a different story tho and I've forgot to close my gas valve before to walk in and smell gas really strong and find a puddle under the bike... at least the smell didn't come into the house and out there it's so much easier to clean up the spill with a lot less risk of a fire.

stars

Mar 10, 2014
philadelphia
i dont have a garage but the smell can somes be strong so i put a sheet over to try to protect it from spark & to keep try to keep the fumes down.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
i dont have a garage but the smell can somes be strong so i put a sheet over to try to protect it from spark & to keep try to keep the fumes down.
A sheet won't stop the gasoline fumes from collecting someplace where they might find an ignition source. It doesn't take much if the mixture is right. Unplugging an electrical device could cost you your home, maybe your life. This isn't just theory, sir. It is a fact.
Don't store gasoline inside your house!

Tom

stars

Mar 10, 2014
philadelphia
I store the gasoline tank outside but the bike is inside near the door covered in a sheet. i live in a apartment so i have no backyard or garage. How can i keep my apartment safe from gas leaking from my bike? only place i can store bike is in my place

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
I store the gasoline tank outside but the bike is inside near the door covered in a sheet. i live in a apartment so i have no backyard or garage. How can i keep my apartment safe from gas leaking from my bike? only place i can store bike is in my place
worst case scenario, grab a jerry can, they have caps and won't vent (they have a rubber seal). When you're done your ride, empty your tank into the jerry can and run the bike until the carb is empty

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Just disconnect the fuel line and drain it back into a gas can if you absolutely have to keep it inside the house... Really, just not worth the risk, especially with these cheap tanks and caps and all...

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
what can i used to drain the gas out my tank on my bike? like what can i buy to drain the gas out?
just use the fuel line going to your carb. Turn the valve off, disconnect the hose from the carb, stick it in the jerry can, turn the gas valve back on until the tank is done