Newbie intro with some bike frame inquiries

GoldenMotor.com

miljohnj5

Sep 8, 2013
upstate NY
I'm starting to research and gather information about boardtrack racers.

About me; I served in the military for ten years and spent the entire time riding Harleys. While at the same time I began developing an urge toward cafe racers for their bare bones style.

I left the military and had to sell my bike for a college commuter vehicle. Two masters degrees and a ton of school debt later, I started gathering information on cafe racers when I came on boardtrack racers recently.

I'm certainly inspired by the designs of Halcyon Cycle Works. He seems to have nailed the concept I'm looking for in a boardtrack inspired racer. I tried to contact him via the website to no avail but I'm not giving up. If anyone knows how to contact him please let me know.

As for the eventual outcome of a boardtrack racer I'm not in a hurry. I've been lurking about here and at another well-known boardtrack inspired forum (excuse double-posting).

I'm big into minimalist aesthetics with clearly defined lines but a custom-design boardtrack with a Briggs Vanguard (16-23hp) would be awesome. Those ideas may sound opposed but I'm looking for the median between them. Sort of a beefed-up Halcyon Cycle Works bike. I've look at a 1926 Excelsior Super X and man oh man... but that bike begins to stray too far from the purity. Its lines are clean and true but a lttle too thick. Maybe something between a Halcyon and a Super X designed frame. Ideas? Then I can take it to the necessary forum topic area.
The best part about a minimalist boardtrack design is that while boosting speed in a raw and original way it also keeps costs down. Awesome. At any rate, I'm in no hurry to jump in. Things have to work out first on my end. I'm just researching ideas for now. Fire away with any questions.
Thanks all for your time and consideration.
John

Powertool

Jul 8, 2012
Bradford,TN.
Welcome to the forum , lots of information on this subject . Good luck with your research , should you decide to build one , start a thread with your progress .

miljohnj5

Sep 8, 2013
upstate NY
Hello,
No problem on the posting. However, I'm an archivist and have zero fab skills and no time to learn. I'll be here asking advice over time as to parts etc. but as for fabrication I have to leave that up to the builders. Although not an artist, maybe I'll try to gather some images and get ideas together for a frame first instead of "oh, I like that" and "oh, and I like that too".

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think it's time you find out what beer your local welder likes and encourage him to help you. Welders are always busy. To mount a Briggs Vanguard, or similar vee, you will need a flat bottom on your frame. The ones I have seen also use a Comet styled CVT. They look absolutely dreamy.

miljohnj5

Sep 8, 2013
upstate NY
At first I wasn't really thinking a bigger build then after some consideration I realize it's more of an investment to use (not monetary) and one I'll keep. You know, I'm the guy who would wheel it into the house and into the living room for the winter :) Not married. Can you tell?
Anyway, what helped to sway my opinion toward a customized "DOT" bike was a Utube video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPFhif9ORWE
After looking at some other videos, I'm pretty sure it's the same forum member here named Lurker. That guy came out with a killer first design that he posted on here. Anyway, the guy's designs are just awesome.