I scored this at a yard sale

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Has anyone ever done a jackshaft setup on this drivetrain? I'm thinking I have most of the hard parts here for a homebrew shiftkit...Any suggestions?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good grief. I have one hanging in my basement. I bought it new in 1976. It probably doesn't have 50 miles on it. I bought one for me and one for my ex and six months later we were divorced. I brought it to Colorado with me and never rode it. It was stored for a few years and now it's hanging upside down and looks brand new. I'd forgotten all about that weird chain ring thing until I saw your photo. Mine is a 'World Sport'

Tom

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I've got a front freewheel on my '76 Panasonic ten speed, love it.

Why wouldn't it work with a shift kit? It would be like a saab or rambler freewheel, and just drop to idle when you back off the gas.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
I have been told that for a jackshaft kit that the deralier needs to be a ratchet set up it don't make a lot of sense to me but because of who told me I'm sure there is a reason

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That was the very first bike I motorized, Maniac!

The chain stays are round and I didn't account well enough for it and put the tensioner in to the spokes. It being a special rear wheel, and I didn't think/know it could just be relaced, ended up using a more conventual bike.

LOL, I made it from the end of the driveway to almost the end of the yard. Weird 2 minutes. "Will it start or not" Both made me a tad worried. Then She fired up and was ecstatic for almost 3 and a half seconds.

But was told there is a warehouse in NY State full of them. Parts and bikes.

Post lots of pics!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
That was the very first bike I motorized, Maniac!

The chain stays are round and I didn't account well enough for it and put the tensioner in to the spokes. It being a special rear wheel, and I didn't think/know it could just be relaced, ended up using a more conventual bike.

LOL, I made it from the end of the driveway to almost the end of the yard. Weird 2 minutes. "Will it start or not" Both made me a tad worried. Then She fired up and was ecstatic for almost 3 and a half seconds.

But was told there is a warehouse in NY State full of them. Parts and bikes.

Post lots of pics!
I'm torn now between selling it to some hipster for 5 times the money, or keeping it to build a frankenjackshaft shifter bike...
Cool vs. 80$ profit....
PROFIT!
Seriously, I listed it on CL at 150$ and have already had a few nibbles so it looks like my greed will overcome my interest.
http://memphis.craigslist.org/bik/3606515550.html

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Honestly, not a great choice for "MBerizing" any way. Skinny tires, kind of an odd sitting/riding position and hard to find parts, for.

I regretted not trying the same sort of thing, (frankenjackshaft shifter bike") but man that would have been a whole can of fabricating worms. A PITB for what the end result would be. IMVHO

The extra cash might serve ya better.

Really was a goof seeing you and Tom had one though.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Time will tell. I almost feel bad but whatever the market will bear....
I'll get over the disappointment with a nice wad of 20's$ in my pocket.:)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, ayup.

I personally think it is well worth that price. Is semi rare and unique.

In looking for the rear wheel for mine, the local bike shop guy's eyes lit up when he realized what I was looking for. (He was the one who told me there was a ware house full of em) Then I told him I was motorizing it. LOL. Down hill and not in a good way from there.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Doesn't look to me like a shift kit would fit behind the seat tube and between the rear wheel-

I'd put a 50 cc -China girl on it with an under-the-top tube tank for peddling clearnce with no tensioner if there's room and give that priority over keeping any fender. A smaller cog of not less than 36 makes that easier with a 50cc.

Skinny tires are great if you have cycling experience and don't expect to ride in dirt or gravel- it would be a great city transport with a basket or two, and more likely legal. The little 50 will roll them well, especially if you re-builld them with alloy rims

The low E wont buzz if you play it right, ban z ai.

Last edited: