What to do about bike unfriendly businesses?

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
there's usually good bike parking in southern california at most big places, with the exception of the huge Bella Terra shopping mall in huntington beach.

it's a sprawling, outdoor mall and they have those stupid art deco bike racks that look fancy, but you can only lock up 4 bikes, except some jackass always parks sideways across it.

there's only a few of the racks scattered around the place, but there's plenty of light posts.

but if you lock your bike to one of them, they give you a fake ticket, claiming they have a description of your bike and they'll confiscate it if it's locked to a post again.

i got one of those and called the security office and asked them what they meant by "confiscating."

the guy had no real answer, so i continued to badger and heckle him. "does that mean you're stealing my bike? is that legal? is it like impound and i have to pay to get it back? are you saying the bella terra mall is anti-bike? does that mean you're anti-green, anti-environment..."

i went on as long as i could keep the guy on the phone.

another funny part of it is that this neatly printed "ticket" (in spanish on the back even) had multiple spelling errors. i'm not talking typos, i mean a blatant disregard for proper grammar.

so i pointed that out to the poor guy, too. "you're not just anti-bike, anti-health, and enviro-unfriendly, you're anti-literacy..."

nothing's changed, but it made me laugh. needless to say, i don't park my bike there anymore, or shop there.
I think you're a fellow alumni from Trouble Maker U. I graduated with honors.

You were probably looking at the wrong side of your ticket. The Spanish side was probably spelled correctly lol.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I make use of handicap parking signs. They are always right by the door. I put the bike on the sidewalk side and Ulock it to the sign post.

Never had a problem.

turbo1889

Jun 12, 2012
NorthWest Montana, USA
I lock mine up to whatever is sturdy and out of the way enough so as not to be easily hit by a car or get in the way for pedestrians but still be in a very public space with lots of people going back and forth. Telephone poles, parking lot light poles, sign poles, etc . . . all are fair game.

I do not lock up at a bicycle rack unless it is right in plain view right near the main doors of a business with a steady stream of people going back and forth right next to it. A lot of bike racks at stores in my area are "tucked around the corner" or such and are out of the sight of the main flow of pedestrian traffic going in and out of the store and I've been sabotaged by pedal only bicyclist that think they have a right to try to mess up my ride because it has a motor on it and they seem to think that is some kind of heresy even though a motorized bike has a way smaller ecological footprint then any car and most motorcycles and scooters.

I've even been viciously confronted to my face by the more aggressive ones demanding to know why the ^#@#$^ I put a %@!$% motor on my bike so that it is a green house gas polluter and bikes are supposed to be clean and pollution free. I even have developed a Shakespeare like theatrical act where I mentally put myself on stage with full depth like back in debate class or live stage theater from my college days long ago as a standard way of responding to them that goes something like this:

Line ----- "Okay, so you want me not to make green house gases or pollute? Which would you prefer that I ride this motorized bike that gets between 100 and 150 miles to the gallon depending on how much I pedal or I could drive my big truck that uses ten times the amount of gas to go the same distance. You do of course realize that if you burn ten times the gas you make ten times the pollution. Which would you prefer?"
Delivery ---- Dripping with Sarcasm. Making full use of full body acting and voice inflection with a beat tone to throw them off balance and make them mentally lock up.

[Insert Short Pause for Dramatic Effect]

Line ----- "If you prefer sir I can certainly drive the truck instead."
Delivery ----- Change voice to a very soft slow gentle tone that forces them to strain to listen too while slightly leaning forward with a slight asian type bow while locking eyes with them. Using the rapid change in style to hold their attention and further "shock lock" their brain into a stupid stare on their speechless face with their brain stuck in processing mode.

[Make a long pause until they start to talk and then when they just open their mouth but have not yet uttered their first word jump in and cut them off.]

Line ----- "Do you not understand me?!?! Your vicious, wanton, and unprovoked attack on me, my personage, and my property for daring to drive a low pollution vehicle that pollutes many times less then a car will not be tolerated!!! You have no right to attack me because I DARE TO CARE !!!"
Delivery ----- Open up at full booming volume cutting them off when they were just about to speak NOT A SHRILL YELL but using a full deep boom voice from the very depth of the lungs with sharp articulated words that can be fully heard and get the head turning attention of everyone within a half block radius. Once again using the rapid change from the subservient low quite question presented with a partial asian bow to the full righteous indignation boom of a voice that needs no assistance to fill a full theater and be fully heard clearly and understandably and can do quite well outside to reach the whole parking lot and leave everyone staring at the one who initiated the confrontation leaving them embarrassed with all eyes staring at them.

And if they don't back off after that one, two, three primary delivery I continue the same process of unpredictably and rapidly changing voice tone and delivery styles at polar opposition to continue to "haze their brain" while continuing to press my point as a full on debate as if done before a full audience on stage at the college level continually logically arguing how eco-friendly a motorized bike is and forcing them to play the position of someone who is attacking and persecuting someone for "daring to care" and thus maintaining the high ground.

I've actually made a grown man almost break down that way with a drawn audience of nearly a dozen people staring at him. I play by a very simple rule. "You leave me along, I leave you alone. You don't leave me alone, I DON'T LEAVE YOU ALONE."

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I'd love for someone to try to tell me how my motorized 66cc bike is killing mother earth. I will put fold their bodies into a pretzel, and put them into the trunk of their Prius.

Oh, and I feel bad that this poor guy "Mr. Minecraft" just wanted to vent to us, about how he can't find a decent place to park at Lowes, and we just attacked like this. Mr. Minecraft, I feel your pain. I just don't think motorized bicycles were on the minds of the people that design parking lots. I still don't think it's a means of dependable transportation. It's a hobby, and to me, that's it. No offense to those who drive every where ONLY on the MBs, but I have 2 cars and a motorcycle, and my commute is large...

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I'd love for someone to try to tell me how my motorized 66cc bike is killing mother earth. I will put fold their bodies into a pretzel, and put them into the trunk of their Prius.

Oh, and I feel bad that this poor guy "Mr. Minecraft" just wanted to vent to us, about how he can't find a decent place to park at Lowes, and we just attacked like this. Mr. Minecraft, I feel your pain. I just don't think motorized bicycles were on the minds of the people that design parking lots. I still don't think it's a means of dependable transportation. It's a hobby, and to me, that's it. No offense to those who drive every where ONLY on the MBs, but I have 2 cars and a motorcycle, and my commute is large...
Ah who's Mr Minecraft, the OP was Nashville Kat.... HAHAHA

turbo1889

Jun 12, 2012
NorthWest Montana, USA
In my defense I did address the OP's original question before I went half way off topic and started discussing motorized bicycle unfriendly people as well as businesses and it was connected to the original question since I was addressing reasons not to park in a regular bike rack if it isn't in plain sight near the front doors.