Do peddlers hate me?

GoldenMotor.com

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Is it just me or are many traditional bicyclists openly hostile to MBs? Okay, I live in a southern CA town that is set up for bicycle riding. The city has built a small bike highway of bike paths paved and unpaved throughout the city and surrounding coastal areas. The city is very bike friendly here. However, I have found a fair amount of hostility toward me and my MB from fellow bicyclists. Many see me and immediately cop an attitude as if I don't belong in the bike lane with them. Some think I have no right to drive on bike paths even though I most certainly do. Maybe they feel cheated because I can wizz-by them enjoying the day while they peddle in a feeble attempt to keep up. Of course some are very friendly, interested in my bike and dreaming about getting a kit for themselves, but a surprising number of them think I am some kind of threat to them. I try to be nice to everyone I meet and avoid trouble and arguments. Of course, I live in a very left leaning town in CA, maybe that explains it. Does anyone else get angry reactions to your MB from peddlers??

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I don't ride with peddlers, they are too slow.

But yes, a lot of "elitist" pedlers hate you/us.

The reasons are to wide and varied to go into here.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'd ride in a bike lane... if we had any to speak of, but even then I give pedaling bicyclists the right of way, passing them on the left & giving them lots of space when I can. We've one bike path around here, a beautifully paved run separated from the highway with wonderful twists & turns, trees, waterside views & even a few picnic tables and a playground...

...and I never go anywhere near it on my motorized bicycle. There's children playing and dogs running about and it's the one place pedal bicyclists can enjoy themselves without being buzzbombed by motor vehicles, or even just motorized ones. I figure I can go play in traffic, so I do so *shrug*

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
. I figure I can go play in traffic, so I do so *shrug*
I get generally good responses from most bicyclists, altho one time heading into beaver "this town is full of pedal bicycles an also the county seat I began to notice mixed reactions , an a few glares as I cruized by , dont let it bother ya .
As barelyawake said ,"I can go play in traffic."but isnt this the one thing our parents told us not to do ? hehehe.......duh.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I see bike paths and bike lanes are two separate cases. I use the bike lanes all the time, designated routes along the side of existing roads and streets. However, the bike paths around where I live, and there are many, are all posted "No Motorized Vehicles", are used by bicyclists, pedestrians, dog walkers, etc. I seldom ride on them with my motorized bike and if I do I never have the engine running. I might occasionally pedal only on them or use them as a connector to get somewhere and one reason I like my MABs to be able to freewheel completely with the engine off.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
im glad the local bike shop owner didnt have anything bad to say about mine, heck he was even working on another motorbike that was left there. I would of though I would of had attitudes towards my motor bicycle

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm with Happyvalley with the exception that I will use my engine on bike trails when there are no pedal people, dogs, kids or pedestrians close enough to hear me. When I encounter them I hit the kill switch, lock the clutch and pedal past. It's just common courtesy. In spite of the fact they we are bicyclist, we are also technically 'motorized vehicles' and as such an affront to some of those who use the trails for the purpose they were constructed.

Tom

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
When I first started motorizing my bikes, they were slow and I was afraid to ride in traffic. It was too dangerous to ride the streets, so I rode the bike paths and sidewalks. Yep, some pedallers hated me, especially the spandex crowd.

Now my bikes are faster and I'm more confident, so I always ride in traffic. On the occasions that the bike path connects my route, I ride as fast as a pedaller.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
sign at the end of my road says No Motor vehicles.
its a dead spot between two dead end roads,so i pull in clutch,pedal through and carry on motoring when im back on the road.the local government pulled down the fence and obstacles the locals put up to prevent thru-traffic,including bicycles.they will be pissed when they discover it was me that instigated the clean-up.

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
Sign me up for the NEVER run the motor on a bike path, only on a bike lane beside a road, crowd.
Had a peddler pull up beside me and tell me it was cheating , even tho the engine was off (bike path), I looked at him and said "yeah right you know how much drag and extra weight im pushing at the moment?" , I stopped peddling for only a moment , and my bike slowed to a stop almost right off the bat.
He laughed and replied "fair enough."

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Sign me up for the NEVER run the motor on a bike path, only on a bike lane beside a road, crowd.
Had a peddler pull up beside me and tell me it was cheating , even tho the engine was off (bike path), I looked at him and said "yeah right you know how much drag and extra weight im pushing at the moment?" , I stopped peddling for only a moment , and my bike slowed to a stop almost right off the bat.
He laughed and replied "fair enough."
I hear you about the drag on a motorized bike. I just got a Sturmy Archer Dyno Hub... I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to pedal all the time against the resistance of the dyno. The frame mounted style can be flipped off but the dyno hub is always on :l

Boise is a bike town with paths and lanes. None of the paths are anywhere near where I live. What's kind of bad is we have a lane/no lane/lane/no lane kind of problem with the no lane areas really dangerous. I plan my routes around those places as best I can but they can't be avoided all the time.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
. What's kind of bad is we have a lane/no lane/lane/no lane kind of problem with the no lane areas really dangerous. I plan my routes around those places as best I can but they can't be avoided all the time.
thats just like here Dave . Lane no lane or wide berm then absolutly no berm , just gotta be careful .

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I have to say that I ride where ever the wind takes me. I know the local laws and my rights. If I'm going into the city and feel like the scenic route then I'll jump on the path. When I ride on the path there are stretches where I'll go fast but for the most part I try to obey the posted speed limits and be courteous to others on the path. I pay no attention to the "No Motorized Vehicles" sign, it means nothing and does not pertain to us (depending on your state). I can see if our bikes had 4 wheels, an electric starter, and so on... then maybe. Here the 4 strokes fall into the low-powered scooter class because of the centrifugal clutch and pull starter, so there is a little room for argument. However, 2 strokes, being that it is a "bicycle with a motor" it cannot be classified as anything else other than an "assisted bicycle". We debated with a officer just this weekend about this. After its all said and done they always say obey the trail speed limit and go to enforce more important things. I'm not going to let some rich spandex wearing... skinny tire riding azzhole dictate my fun and where I can and can't go. My rule is "play chicken with them", just kidding. :)

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
I pay no attention to the "No Motorized Vehicles" sign, it means nothing and does not pertain to us (depending on your state). :)
I don't get how you don' t think that that 2stroke or 4 stroke engine between your legs or slightly in front or behind you does not count as a motorized vehicle.
If we are running on engine power , yes we are a motorized vehicle, peddling and sweating your balls off , then no.
If you have to run engine power why not take the roads ?
I just think it wont take much of some guy bombing along on a bike or pleasure path to rack up a pile of complaints or cause a injury to force the government to look at us as real motorized vehicles(ie insurance). I personally see little difference in it being a 4 stroke or a 2 , regardless its a motor.

Oh I see, I reread your post, so basically in your state your 4stoke bike falls under the same laws as the low powered scooter things that really overweight people use to move around wall mart?

Regardless I think its in really poor taste to run a motor in a non motorized path. But I guess I don't live where you live so carry on, hope ya don't hurt someone .

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
If it says no "motorized vehicles" I obey. If it doesnt I go drive like I want.

But the same Eliteist Bicycle people who ***** about things are the same one's who blow stop signs then flip you off for almost hitting them....go figure....

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I don't get how you don' t think that that 2stroke or 4 stroke engine between your legs or slightly in front or behind you does not count as a motorized vehicle.
If we are running on engine power , yes we are a motorized vehicle, peddling and sweating your balls off , then no.
I just think it wont take much of some guy bombing along on a bike or pleasure path to rack up a pile of complaints or cause a injury to force the government to look at us as real motorized vehicles(ie insurance). I personally see little difference in it being a 4 stroke or a 2 , regardless its a motor.

Oh I see, I reread your post, so basically in your state your 4stoke bike falls under the same laws as the low powered scooter things that really overweight people use to move around wall mart?

Regardless I think its in really poor taste to run a motor in a non motorized path. But I guess I don't live where you live so carry on, hope ya don't hurt someone .
The law here says under 50cc, 4-stroke or 2 don't matter, it's still a bicycle under the law. The bike trails around here allow motorized bikes. The signs that say no motor vehicles also make an exception for motorized bicycles.

My buddy was riding his motor bike on a new greenway trail here when a pedal biker told him he shouldn't be on it. My buddy rode, with his motor, to the next sign with all the rules. He waited for the pedal biker to get there and pointed out that motorized bikes were allowed. Pedal biker learned a lesson that day, least I hope he did.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I have to agree. If we don't self-regulate, we'll be regulated upon.