Tecumseh powered cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
A buddy of mine stopped by today on his newly built cruiser with a 3hp Tecumseh motor. It idled smooth and ran great. He used a Schwinn frame with moped forks and front brake hub, diaphragm carb, heavy duty rims, custom exhaust and sprag modified Max Torque clutch. It can be pull rope started or push started very easily without a compression release. It's just a pre-assembly now and he intends to finish it and paint it up real nice and maybe sell it. I hope he keeps it, it's a sweet ride.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I would like to know more about the sprag modified clutch. Who does the mod, and or what bearing was used?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I would like to know more about the sprag modified clutch. Who does the mod, and or what bearing was used?
Hi wayne. The clutch is a copy of one made by 3rd Millenium Energy, who no longer offers them. They used to make them for the later Whizzers. Whizzer started making their own leaving the company with some left over. I purchased several on ebay for my bikes because I found the spacing of the pulleys was perfect for my Briggs bikes. My friend, John, builds Harleys, and does other machine work in a small Huntington Beach shop. I got him into building motorized bicycles about 20 years ago. I used to ride my red bike to a radiator shop in the same complex for a Christmas party. John would always come over and look at my bike until he made his own. A few months ago he rode my race bike with one of the auto clutches and had to have one. With them not being available anymore, he decided to make his own. We discovered they were just heavily modified Max Torque units. After purchasing the 5 or so bearings he still had to do a lot of machine work to duplicate it. He's going to make one more for me but I don't know if he will offer any for sale. He did say that he could not sell them as cheap as the mass produced ones. If he decides to, I will post it on the forum. I have several friends who would also like to buy one. They freewheel nicely at idle and hook up real strong allowing for fast take-offs. The first one I bought is still working well and I also have one on my 8hp Briggs bike with the same results.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Is the airfilter in the area atop of the carb with the circular metal shape and small hole in center?

I'm just now finding out the carb I got new needs a less restrictive airfilter than the foam type, maybe paper type will do. It was only necessary to get this new carb as I wanted a gravity feed system to move the gas tank away from where it would not fit with the down tube in the way.

MT

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Is the airfilter in the area atop of the carb with the circular metal shape and small hole in center?

I'm just now finding out the carb I got new needs a less restrictive airfilter than the foam type, maybe paper type will do. It was only necessary to get this new carb as I wanted a gravity feed system to move the gas tank away from where it would not fit with the down tube in the way.

MT
No, MT, the air filter is temporarily off . The top is the diaphragm cover.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
OK thanks, I actually found some used parts to hold a new prefilter and new paper airfiler meant for the carb, so I'll be seeing maybe by the weekend how it goes.

Don't let any grit get in that nice engine on that fine bike!

MT

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yes, sb, the Tecumseh is a sweet engine. I'm overhauling an old Kohler K91 4hp but it's not committed to a project yet. All the parts are available on ebay. I'll decide after I see how it runs.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I think the Kohlers all have iron sleevs, maybe I'm wrong there but I hear they are good engines!

Like to see you what the 4 hp looks like and getting it fixed up.

Just started using Ebay for some used parts and I hope it turns out good. Some stuff I see is made over seas and the only way I knew other than them saying it is not Whizzer part is the shipping was as much as the $40 Whizzer <type> sheave. Though I'd check. Yep Tiawan! There was no address in USA at all so expect returns to be a problem?

MT

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'm very interested in how the outboard clutches perform, compared to mounting on the crank.

lol
all u guys like those straight pipes!
Here, it would go over abt like gas in church.
rc

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hi wayne. The clutch is a copy of one made by 3rd Millenium Energy, who no longer offers them. They used to make them for the later Whizzers. Whizzer started making their own leaving the company with some left over. I purchased several on ebay for my bikes because I found the spacing of the pulleys was perfect for my Briggs bikes. My friend, John, builds Harleys, and does other machine work in a small Huntington Beach shop. I got him into building motorized bicycles about 20 years ago. I used to ride my red bike to a radiator shop in the same complex for a Christmas party. John would always come over and look at my bike until he made his own. A few months ago he rode my race bike with one of the auto clutches and had to have one. With them not being available anymore, he decided to make his own. We discovered they were just heavily modified Max Torque units. After purchasing the 5 or so bearings he still had to do a lot of machine work to duplicate it. He's going to make one more for me but I don't know if he will offer any for sale. He did say that he could not sell them as cheap as the mass produced ones. If he decides to, I will post it on the forum. I have several friends who would also like to buy one. They freewheel nicely at idle and hook up real strong allowing for fast take-offs. The first one I bought is still working well and I also have one on my 8hp Briggs bike with the same results.
I might be intrested in one $ do you have any closeup pictures of one?.....Curt

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I might be intrested in one $ do you have any closeup pictures of one?.....Curt
Me too. Actualy, I have small machine shop, and I would like to lear more about this modification and learn to do my own. Please tell your friend that I will pay a generous price for drawings, pics or sketches and part numbers.
Thanks, Wayne

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I am with Wayne also would like to make my own if Posable. Between me and my neighborshop would have enough equipment to do it.
That would be AWESOME...............Curt

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I'm very interested in how the outboard clutches perform, compared to mounting on the crank.

lol
all u guys like those straight pipes!
Here, it would go over abt like gas in church.
rc
Yes, we love the 4 stroke rumble at speed. If you look closely at our jackshaft mounted clutches, you may notice the ratio is close to 1:1, which performs same as on the engine crankshaft. It also allows for a narrower overall width, so less pedal crank bending for clearance.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Me too. Actualy, I have small machine shop, and I would like to lear more about this modification and learn to do my own. Please tell your friend that I will pay a generous price for drawings, pics or sketches and part numbers.
Thanks, Wayne
My buddy took a few months to duplicate the clutch mods because he did it while running his regular business. He says he will be making drawings, but I don't expect anything soon. So, I have another friend working on them. You may have to buy one and reverse engineer it yourself. The parts for the conversion are well over $100, and you know how expensive labor is. He's talking at an initial offering of between $300 and $400 each. Sounds like a lot, but consider the only other choice is a late Whizzer auto clutch that Quenton has to modify and upgrade starting at $125 for his work. With the price of the clutch and his mods, you're looking at around the same or more expense, and the whizzer clutches are about twice the size. When I get a chance, I'll post a photo of both clutches for comparison. I bought one of the late Whizzer clutches and have not had it worked on yet. I still plan to use it so I can compare the performance. I have the 3rd millennium clutch on four of my bikes starting about 6 years ago and the oldest one just shows modest wear to the drum. My race bike performed great at Willow and Grange without overheating. It had just the right amount of slippage and hooked up tight when needed. Also, Max Torque offers replacement drums, 4 different springs and 2 different weights for tuning. I'll keep you posted as we progress.