Harbor Freight auger Help needed

GoldenMotor.com

BillyShears

Jul 17, 2011
tomball texas
Does anyone know the 4 hole pattern of the hf auger? I bought one last week
and it appears to be 7.5 centimeters hole center to hole center, the kits I've found
seem to want a 70.7mm four-hole engine mounting bolt pattern plus a 76mm
clutch rotor have not taken the transmission off because i would not know how to measure the clutch incase its an odd ball and wont fit the kits.......Thank you

P.S BMP recommends this engine as compatible but they are not taking orders.

I am building a 2 stroke landmark but this is for a 24 huffy cranbrook

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I don't know offhand the dimensions, but I can tell you that I have three of the HF auger engines, one HF water pump engine (same thing, but in blue) in addition to a Honda GX31, a Robin/Subaru EH035 and a Tanaka PF-4000, and they all mount up to the BMP and DAX friction drive kits with no problems.
So, if you know the mounting pattern of any of the above engines, then it is the same for all the others mentioned.

BillyShears

Jul 17, 2011
tomball texas
I took the handle with the squeeze throttle, kill switch etc and the gear drive off the auger and I was wondering what do with the red and black wires now that they are unplugged? I am assuming the kill switch on the throttle from dax will wire up but does it need both wires if not what to do ...Thanks

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
The black wire is connected to the engine's ground. You can connect the throttle's kill switch directly to those two wires.

BillyShears

Jul 17, 2011
tomball texas
Thanks but is there any color on the kill switch to match the red and black of the auger
engine? is there anything else I do to the red and black wire like ground it to frame or anything or do I just connect both to kill switch wires ?Thanks rohmell

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
You can connect any of the kill switch wires to the black & red wires of the engine. The black wire is connected to the engine's ground/frame/chassis.

You can even connect one wire of the kill switch to the red engine wire, and the other kill switch wire to the engine or the friction drive assy.

BillyShears

Jul 17, 2011
tomball texas
rohmell you have mounted the auger before. heres whats happening with me
I put the threaded studs into the auger. to mount on the friction drive but some threaded all the way down no bottoming out very loose fit in thread I hope there is nothing that they hit going so far in.. I want to change hardware from the all thread to bolts are the 4 holes just threaded or do they interfere with other parts if they were too deep also are threads 6mm,,Thank you

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If the studs go too deep into the engine, they will hit the flywheel.

It sounds like you are using DAXs hardware for your install.

I didn't like that setup so I used the same hardware that is used with the BMP kit: 7/8" spacers and 6M x 1.00 x 35 metric bolts.

I can use that hardware on all of the different engines, Honda, Robin/Subaru, Tanaka, Chinese Mitsubishi without a problem.

BillyShears

Jul 17, 2011
tomball texas
I appreciate all the help you've given rohmell I do have the Dax studs and I want bolts so
the spacers in the dax kit are 3/4 inch what does the 1.00 mean in the bolt size? because
the dax bracket takes up some and then I would probably want to go at least 3/8ths deep into the engine holes..Thank you

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
The 1.0 is the thread pitch.
Metric bolts in that size can be in 1.0, 1.25 and 1.5 pitch.
The spacers in the DAX kit are 3/4" = .75"
The BMP spacers are 7/8" = .875"

On some engines by using the spacers alone, the .75 spacing allows the clutch bell to hit and drag on the flywheel, which is why DAX includes a bunch of washers to increase the spacing for the various engines.

By using the 7/8" spacers you will have no such problems.

The hardware supplied by DAX leaves much to be desired, I usually toss it all.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Just a tad off topic........do any of you guys currently use a thatsdax friction drive kit? If so-could you post a couple pics of how you mounted the motor to the F.D. unit?

I'm interested in a couple of close up pics of the motor/F.D. interface.