Rear Rack Fuel Tank

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I bought this fuel tank on eBay. It came with the clamps that wrap around it. I already had a Planet Bike rear rack installed. It's easy to devise ways to mount the tank clamps to the rear rack. I used common metal conduit clamps. The kind dipped in black liquid plastic, that they sell in hardware stores. I bought a 1/4" petcock that screws into the new tank, and a couple of feet of 1/4" fuel line. I used M6 hardware

Total cost was under $170

New Spun Aluminum Gas Tank 1/2 Gallon | eBay

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You got that Cadillac lookin' sweet.

Very nice. Gas up once a month now - :)

That thing looks over a gallon.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, I missed the ebay descripter.

And looking again, it does seem about the same size as one of those 1/2 gallon milk cartons.

At least you'll never need to worry about rust.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Nice, that's a Coyote-Gear tank. They have a website and you can buy direct from them. I didn't know they also sell on eBay.

I put a 6x12" on my bike last year and my brother put a 4x8" on his a few months ago.
Definitely high quality tanks, but be careful of the gas cap - it breaks easily.
Many automotive gas caps do fit tho, including lockers!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Nice, that's a Coyote-Gear tank. They have a website and you can buy direct from them. I didn't know they also sell on eBay.

I put a 6x12" on my bike last year and my brother put a 4x8" on his a few months ago.
Definitely high quality tanks, but be careful of the gas cap - it breaks easily.
Many automotive gas caps do fit tho, including lockers!
You're right, I did see the Coyote Gear name on the receipt. The tank seems high quality, and the brackets are overkill for a MB. The paint on the brackets was really thin, but I sprayed some black on them. $151 shipped is a decent price me thinks. It's 4 x 11.

I'm not in love with the look. I don't hate either. It does get the job done, and unlike the stock tank it's not going to come loose and rotate around the cross bar. It feels real solid now.

Maybe if I paint it, or put a sticker on or something.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Now how in the heck are you gonna bring a six-pack home on that rack? Impractical for sure. The top tube on that bike will hold nearly as much as that spun aluminum can wasting all that real estate behind the rider :D

dnut

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Now how in the heck are you gonna bring a six-pack home on that rack? Impractical for sure. The top tube on that bike will hold nearly as much as that spun aluminum can wasting all that real estate behind the rider :D

dnut
Of course that's of #1 importance my friend. Don't worry, I would never design a bike you can't carry beer on. You can always peddle if you run out of gas, but can you peddle if you run out of beer? I think not. I have a throw over saddlebag that will carry all the essentials. 2 six packs, a bong, and a couple of breath mints for longer trips.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Yep, that's the one. It's pretty wide, but I didn't like how mine looked mounted lengthwise.
I designed and laser-cut a bracket that mounts to the rear brake caliper hole in the frame.
The tank brackets mount to the new bracket and tank is quite secure!

I'm probably going to replace it with a front-mounted tank when I get a layback seatpost I like.