My Super Rat Experience

GoldenMotor.com

jedpr1

Feb 17, 2010
FLORIDA
It seems that this engine is a little temperamental, to say the least. It is expensive, it comes with a big carb, integrated CDI and a whole lot of problems. This is my MB Story:
Bought the SR engine ($200.00) from Piston Bike and received it in a very short time. Bought the bicycle at K-mart and dove in to putting it together. My second run went all wrong. The engine started making funny noises and did not wanted to cooperate.
Well, This is my second build and have some experience with the whole mounting business, but this one.. All I am going to say to the people that have purchased one of these engines is. MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS TIGHT! Checked all screws and bolts and all of them were loose. From the valve cover to the carb top screws. The muffler screws I was able to remove them with my fingers. Those had to be replaced. It is running now with some Manic parts and screws (i.e. back sprocket) and hopefully will outlast my last build (7 months Grubee gt5 66cc).

That's my story

Attachments

demac

Mar 8, 2010
Canada, Ontario, Brampton
seems this is thhe story with these superrats motors. i orderd from gasbike and they sent me the wrong one way back, i am now thakfull i got only rhe gt5 i put 100km on it and not one problem :) but you are so right check all the bolts and screws more then twice its very easy for smothing to losen up right!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Interesting to hear someone's perspective on these. I'm a 4 stroker now, but I was wondering. You should get some good brakes for that bike btw, but it is good looking. I hope it lasts for you :) Peace
-LS

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
1. always upgrade your hardware to a more solid metal than the screws provided with the kit.
2. LOCKTITE IS YOUR FRIEND!
3.As with any motorcycle or MB- ALWAYS check all your fasteners to make sure they're tight. and lastly
4. always have a bare basic tool set, an air pump, and a few extra tire tubes with you. I have a little pack that fits under my seat that has a mini socket wrench and the 10mm and 15mm fittings that fit all the engine nuts and the nuts for the wheel. I also carry a few extra braided steel cables that are used for the brakes and clutch release so when things go pear shaped I can do a fix on the spot for most problems..

PatTheThird

Apr 24, 2011
Southern Maryland
I have a GT5 Starfire and a GT5-Rat. Both of my motors are very strong pullers. Both have SBP expansion chambers. The Rat is easily 8 MPH faster and pulls well harder from half throttle to WOT. I need to downsize. I wonder if any of you would be intirested in buying one of my motors. I could provide video of them performing.

JMacSp

Aug 26, 2011
New York
do you know where I could buy a Super Rat 66cc From what I checked they are "sold out" Or "out of stock" everywhere....????