Running again, break in/heat question

GoldenMotor.com

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
Hey all,

My bike has been out of commission for a while and thanks to Duane at Dax I am running again. I got the new motor on, everything plugged in and started up fine, but I have a couple of concerns.

1: It is much harder to pedal from a start on this motor. I tried adjusting the clutch cable tighter, but then it wouldn't start. Will this go away with time or do I need to open up the gear side cover?

2: After only riding about 8 blocks I parked it to mess with the idle and the engine was already hot enough to burn me. I don't remember my last motor getting that hot that quick. This really worries me, I don't want to blow this engine

3: I have the SBP expansion chamber, ported billet intake and upgraded air filter. I have everything except the SBP pipe hooked up. Should I break the engine in with the stock pipe or expansion chamber?

Thanks in advance

Kelly

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
Thanks Nougat! Unfortunately motors hate me. I got this new motor running last night, but the new fuel line I put on had a slow leak so I had to leave it outside, under the roof. It poured down rain last night, but had stopped when I got up so I got on to start it. It started up 2 times and died and then wouldn't start again. It looks like I might have gotten some water in my air filter. Got home this afternoon, took off the air filter, cleaned the plug and drained the bowl. Still it wouldn't start.

I remounted so the carb was more level and when trying to take the chain off, I couldn't turn the gear with the tool to get the chain off. I don't think there is spark, but I have to put the entire weight of my body into turning the wheel without the clutch in to get the chain to turn so it's hard to tell.

I'm going to change out the CDI and magneto to see what happens. My last motor quit after 1 1/2 tanks of gas, so this is quite frustrating. Thanks for your help

Kelly :-||

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I'm going to change out the CDI and magneto to see what happens. My last motor quit after 1 1/2 tanks of gas, so this is quite frustrating. Thanks for your help
Kelly :-||
Easy Kelly...
Don't be going into electrical just yet.

Does the bike pedal fine with the clutch locked in?
If not adjust that first.

As for how hard it is to pedal when you release it, well ya, the motor is engaged but not running.
A new motor and no doubt nice compression right now.
The easy way around that is just a 19 or 20 tooth sprocket on the pedal side for a coaster bike.

Get that worked out first then worry about it firing up as it could be many things and a new Mag and CDI is not where you start bud.

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
It's much harder to pedal than the last motor with the clutch pulled all the way in. I was just going to replace the Mag and CDI since I had an extra of each. Googling clutch adjustment now. Thanks

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The CDI and Mag have noting to do with how easy it is pedal with the clutch locked in.
That is the clutch adjustment.

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
I got that, I was just trying to check for spark. I'm still not able to find any way to make it easier to pedal.