Texas Legal Motorized Bicycle Club

GoldenMotor.com

Lonnie McVaigh

Aug 10, 2010
Corpus Christi, Texas
I just wonder if anyone would be interested in being active in or member of a Non Profit Motor Bicycle Club? Maybe do some events, instructional activities like projects and safety classes or other hobby related promotional stuff? I founded a 501c3 corporation in California for a Club before and it really helped thousands to be introduced to amateur activities and associations. It went from local to interstate in two years and is no a international format. And... A tax right off for members.

Maybe there is one already...

Use this forum as a platform to enlighten us all...

Lonnie McVaigh

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
Re: Texas Legal MB Club

I would definitely be up for a Texas club but Texas is a big place! Where will this club meet? DFW? Austin? Houston? El Paso? We really need about 4-5 clubs lol!

Lonnie McVaigh

Aug 10, 2010
Corpus Christi, Texas

Well, I am just doing the research and don't want to ruffle any feathers of those who may have forged any already existing clubs. Your response has been my first contact and if I find out anything I will make a valent effort to pass it on. There is power in numbers and it sure wouldn't be smart top duplicate the work individually all over again when associations can be formed, like you say Texas is big! When it comes to nonprofits, you don't see them compete to much to offer services like The Salvation Army VS The United Way. They build off each other and form co-ops through letters of intent...

Much public and common good though can be legally done. I could see a Group Insurance Plan for Club sanctioned activities and members, funding for instruction - I legally paid 30.00 an hour for personel to conduct seminars and classes that became popular recruitment events as well as member personal enrichment. I've been very active in several clubs...

Computer, Ham Radio, Vollyball, Bicycle, Engineering... You can do a lot of things as long as it is in the excepted Mission Statement and within guidelines set up by the state of incorporation. Many have there own facilities built on sites granted through like 50 year land leases free from property taxes given to Federally recognized non profits. My last club made quit a bit of revenue from selling materials and equiptment from a shop, like a pro shop at a golf club so to speak, but it was a Volleyball Club.

Sounds fun but it got 0verwhelming... The thing is though when I burned out, the club bylaws just allowed for a nomination and election process. I truley hate business... got to go!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

When I lived in AZ, there were a lot of organized events like the Spookytooth death race and Saturday morning group rides, but I never saw a legal, non-profit club.
Though Texas is a huge place, members could participate in events at their nearest major city.
I support the formation of such a club.

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas

Have you considered starting a private for-profit club? There would be no need to rely on the government and the club could offer members benefits for joining and paying an annual fee. The club could then use money to lobby members of the legislature to support gas engines. Many Texans would probably be more interested in a private club. Just an idea.

A cool thing to consider would be a club hosted state bike-a-thon. A week long bike ride all around Texas would be sweet and bikers could ride in a loop through several of the major cities.

The most important thing however is to get more people in Texas to be interested in motorbikes of all kinds so that there will be more support for motorized bicyclists. cvlt1

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

City to city routes (legal) will be difficult to plan with our machines being restricted to roads with a speed limit of 35mph or less.
The idea of a tour of Texas is very attractive none the less.

Last edited:

Lonnie McVaigh

Aug 10, 2010
Corpus Christi, Texas

Thanks for the reply Techbiker!!!

Replied Text Follows:
Have you considered starting a private for-profit club? There would be no need to rely on the government and the club could offer members benefits for joining and paying an annual fee. The club could then use money to lobby members of the legislature to support gas engines. Many Texans would probably be more interested in a private club. Just an idea.

A cool thing to consider would be a club hosted state bike-a-thon. A week long bike ride all around Texas would be sweet and bikers could ride in a loop through several of the major cities.

The most important thing however is to get more people in Texas to be interested in motorbikes of all kinds so that there will be more support for motorized bicyclists.

ReRe Lonnie McVaigh:

Absolutely, I believe heartily in the entrepreneurial spirit... (Spelling?) I've been in business a long time but truthfully, I don't have the right personality to actually really hold a bottom line just for profit and end up being manipulated. I guess I was ruined for that after becoming our Church's Financial Chair. My Church of 22 years, I never knew about a book of discipline, (Church Policies and Creeds) just Methodist values applied through the Bible. But at the Conferences I learned that Church Claims where being used at the Methodist Hospitals for Abortions all that time when they took a vote to support Partial Birth Abortions! Big money too... Anyway, long story short I'm a much better servant when I'm broke and needy but I get loved alot and have helped many successful business owners.

I'm to passionate about what I'm into, the sport or activity and just feel inspired whenever I can promote it to spend efforts to like take ownership of it for myself. Another thing is that I don't enjoy the competitive nature of business, Capitalism is a great economic system... the best in our world anyway but not a form of governing and is kind of a hinderance to unifing and social structures like clubs. It makes clicks and hidden agendas like in the united church that causes meetings before meetings, end runs and power plays.

Not me champ... Save that for the real businessmen in the club who can take the pressure, its tough enough just to look out for the best interests of what you love. I guess that is what you mean when you say the main thing is to keep the main thing... The MAIN thing. If a club gets started, there will be plenty in it who can rightfully make profit through a shop and or Club Site. I would say a concern or main thing would be to make sure that our clubs organizational state and federal guidelines were being followed. Most states don't allow a non profit to compete with for profits or they have a real low threshold for what they can do.

Business's make money, can donate it and then right it off of their books but a non profit must be careful not to show favoritism, especially to any Club Officers or Board Members. But Non Profits can support other non profits that are properly recognized. Our idea the build the sport is one to build on, just like you say...

Blessing's,

Lonnie McVaigh

Lonnie McVaigh

Aug 10, 2010
Corpus Christi, Texas

YEAH KNOW!!! WHEELBENDER6

You wrote:

When I lived in AZ, there were a lot of organized events like the Spookytooth death race and Saturday morning group rides, but I never saw a legal, non-profit club.
Though Texas is a huge place, members could participate in events at their nearest major city.
I support the formation of such a club.

Thanks for documenting your support, if your in Texas or for that matter anywhere it would be your club if you joined it. I'm just thinking out loud here as much as anyone else but thinking about putting in a little time to get it rolling. I just reached retirement age but still want to have a little impact of my life here in this world. Our children are our heritage and long after we are gone it is they who act out what we have taught them. (Hopefully) Maybe, they will remember and do the same thing in our memory and a small part of us will live on forever... The cycle of life, huh!

Anyway, business's like Spookytooth actually look for venues to organize events. They might not want to spend valued time organizing and they could be at no risk of liability under the hedge of protection a propper club could offer. Affiliations through a well organized Club possibly associate clubs that have adopted copied charters from it could spring up in major towns or cities since Non Profits are actually owned by its membership.

Just keep watching the string and if you feel froggy jump in!!!

Blessing's,

Lonnie McVaigh