seized up

GoldenMotor.com

Evan

Dec 6, 2009
Mount Vernon, WA
My motor seized up this afternoon and when i took it apart there is a pin sticking out of the top of the piston. at first i thought it was part of a needle bearing but it looks to be one of the pins that is in the gap of the rings. any thoughts as to what would have caused this? It was running beautiful right upto the point that it quit. Hey GhostO, You available for parts on a sunday if I can get north?
Any input is appreciated, Evan :-||

Attachments

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Ow bugga that sucks big time, i once had the wrist pin bush do similar things to the top end of a motor.
Give the botton end a good cleaning just to make sure there no more bad stuff in there.

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
Bummer. That gouge in the cylinder wall will be hard to hone out. I think I'd be inclined to go for a new engine. Looks like all you really need are the cylinder and piston, if you can find 'em cheap enough. Sorry for the bad luck.

I'm new to Chinese bike engines, so I just bought one and bolted it up. So far, so good. After reading all the good info here, if I build another, I'll tear it down and inspect/check, install 'real' headbolts and such. Right out of the box. Good news? It's not like popping a rod in the in your fresh 383 overhaul. $$$$$$$$$$$! Nowadays, I like and can afford Chinese bikes much better!

Good luck Evan!

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
I found quite a few people including myself having that same problem in the past, apparently its the cheap wobbly bearing that was used in the crankshaft I am told. Since I switched over to the precise Japanese made needle bearing, I have never seen that happen again. I would throw that one away and get an engine with higher quality needle bearings.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That's the ring aligment pin (anti-rotation pin). Yes, they fall out. Yes your engine is toast. You could clean it all out and try a new top end, but that's a crapshoot if you leave even one flake of metal in there.

Evan

Dec 6, 2009
Mount Vernon, WA
well i guess the next question is what kind of 'motor only' to buy? I could just get another china kit but would rather find a motor that will last. what do you guys think is the motor to go with or all they all china made and some just with better bearings?

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
I got a Skyhawk 48cc on mine, 3000 miles on it and going strong.. still has plenty of compression

Last edited: