muffler/noise

GoldenMotor.com

lokerman

Sep 17, 2009
michigan
where can i get a muffler that really quiets down a 2 stroke bike engine? mine is way too loud when im going fast. thank you.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I would look into moped exhausts (tho the manifold will need a bit of tweaking to get it to fit) there's also "poo-poo" pipes, much like the stock one but with a much longer head pipe so the muffler itself is more toward the back of the bike, behind you instead of under ;)

I dunno where to get a poo-poo, I'd check Spooky, I think they might have them, but a moped exhaust might look better and be quieter - if a little more work.

If you dig around the forum some - there's actually quite a bit on quieting these MBs, the intake is responsible for a LOT of the noise you hear. I found when I made a silencer for mine that it had been actually louder than my exhaust was.

Good luck man, I too like the "stealth" approach :D

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
where can i get a muffler that really quiets down a 2 stroke bike engine? mine is way too loud when im going fast. thank you.

The noise doesn't bother me as I'm almost deaf.....I realize this may be to my advantage but I'd really rather be able to hear it .....yanno ?.....from what my friends say it's much like a chainsaw but quieter....maybe a poo-poo pipe will help you ?

Laters,
Saltybrnot

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I would look into moped exhausts (tho the manifold will need a bit of tweaking to get it to fit) there's also "poo-poo" pipes, much like the stock one but with a much longer head pipe so the muffler itself is more toward the back of the bike, behind you instead of under ;)

I dunno where to get a poo-poo, I'd check Spooky, I think they might have them, but a moped exhaust might look better and be quieter - if a little more work.

If you dig around the forum some - there's actually quite a bit on quieting these MBs, the intake is responsible for a LOT of the noise you hear. I found when I made a silencer for mine that it had been actually louder than my exhaust was.

Silent but deadly huh ?.....LOL !

Laters,
Saltybrnot

lokerman

Sep 17, 2009
michigan

Thanks, that's good to know. can you point me toward how you silenced the intake? I want to take all approaches required, so maybe I'll do one of those moped or poopoo exhausts, as well as the intake silencer, except I have no idea what one of those even looks like or how it works(don't really know how a muffler works either, since some are super loud, like on harley's, while others are quiet).

mycam8u2

Dec 5, 2008
pennsylvania
hello, bicycle-engines.com they sell poo poo pipes along with some other exhaust pipes. i would also like to know more on silencing the intake witout losing air flow.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The really loud motorcycles are usually running straight pipe w/o any sort of baffle or muffler. Loud as ****, they can get away with that as their bikes are four strokes and only need a lil back pressure.

Our bikes use metal plates with holes in them inside the muffler as "baffles" to cut down noise, but not very well as you noticed lol Car mufflers use a combination of intricate passages and fiberglass batting and really long pipe length to get the almost silent effect, the honeycomb inside a catalytic converter is so restrictive it tends to do most of the silencing these days lol

Anyhoo, here's the link ya asked for, hope it's some help ;)
http://motorbicycling.com/f4/remote-airbox-intake-silencing-cheap-10967.html

lokerman

Sep 17, 2009
michigan
Thanks a lot. Now that I have some idea, it shouldn't be a problem. I may try to go even further and make it real big and quiet. If I come up with anything worthwhile, I'll post pics.

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
Look at a smaller sprocket like a 36T. You will be able to run the same speed as before but lower RPM.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
of course you would sacrifice a lil bit of acceleration with a 36... one of the reasons I've put off that mod, another is I really don't wanna mess with that rag joint again lol

lokerman

Sep 17, 2009
michigan
Well if I am at 49 CC right now, how much bigger do you think I would have to go to keep the acceleration when switching to a 36 tooth? Any idea?

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
LOUD BIKES SAVE LIVES.

I have had 3 different friends get critically injured due to people dooring them- car drivers not paying attention, getting out of their cars after parking, and hitting the cyclist with the door.

quieting these bikes is the last thing on my mind.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
LOUD BIKES SAVE LIVES.

I have had 3 different friends get critically injured due to people dooring them- car drivers not paying attention, getting out of their cars after parking, and hitting the cyclist with the door.

quieting these bikes is the last thing on my mind.

Hear Ye,Hear Ye.......I don't think these motors are loud at all.....I earlier posted that I'm almost deaf but what I CAN hear are low frequencies....i.e a loud muffler....these are NOT loud !

Thanks,
Saltybrnot

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
that may be true, but it seemed people were trying to figure ways to get these even quieter, which in my point of view is a bad thing. People in West Michigan can barely drive without their cell phones on and radios up..I'm betting that can be said all over the globe..

A loud bike is the rider's best defense..

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
that may be true, but it seemed people were trying to figure ways to get these even quieter, which in my point of view is a bad thing. People in West Michigan can barely drive without their cell phones on and radios up..I'm betting that can be said all over the globe..

A loud bike is the rider's best defense..

I was concuring the fact.....louder is better....even with NO muffler they're not that loud....let's all install glass packs !....LOL

Laters,
Saltybrnot

lokerman

Sep 17, 2009
michigan
I appreciate your concern, but even with your warning, I still want it to be quieter. I ride at very high RPM, so it's just too loud. Plus, where I ride, there aren't any cars parked along the street. Even under your circumstances, wouldn't the bikes have to be even louder for a person in a car with his windows closed to be able to hear you loud enough to bother looking where the noise is coming from? I mean I understand your meaning, just not sure I agree with your conclusion about the noise saving lives. One thing I've noticed about the noise that is in direct contradiction to your conclusion, is that I can't hear cars coming up behind me when I do ride the streets. I think in that situation silence would be the safest. Anyway I appreciate your sentiment, but for me, I disagree.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
poo poo pipe = louder, ive hered numerous stories as i looked into buying one. (and still would like one) however, the SBP performance pipe has a muffler attachment to quiet it down and gives you some added performance. i find tuned pipes to always sound nicer.

intake noise is RETARDED loud, if you make yourself a silencer for it you might be satisfied with just that.

hopefully that can steer you towards m-bliss! lol

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I hafta agree, while loud pipes on Harleys might gain you the attention of other drivers - with these MBs I don't think the "pissed off chainsaw" sound is gonna do much but raise the eyebrow of the local popo.

I've done what I could to quiet my bike if for no other reason than so I can hear lol

If you want yer bike to be loud, fine - but don't kid yerself. I seriously doubt that it'll be loud enough to be noticed by the sheeple, or provide safety if it does.

They'll probably just steer into you anyway, wondering where that noise is coming from :p

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
of course you would sacrifice a lil bit of acceleration with a 36... one of the reasons I've put off that mod, another is I really don't wanna mess with that rag joint again lol
Lol same here.. Just thinking about switching the sprockets and all the stuff puts me off... haha

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Lol same here.. Just thinking about switching the sprockets and all the stuff puts me off... haha

I actually haven't had an issue installing the rag joint....but maybe that's cause I'm ambidextrous...I've learned to stagger your bolts first....then torquing them in the same fashion.....so far so good...

Laters,
Saltybrnot