New Max Speed for me.

GoldenMotor.com

Cowboy Rider

Apr 20, 2009
Illinois
Last night on a ride, I set a New Max Speed Record for me and my cheapo China Engined Motor Bike. Maybe this ain't much for those with 60 or 80cc engines, but it means a lot to me with my little 48/50cc bike.

After 550 Miles on that thing I have, I actually got it up to 32.1 MPH. dance1

Yeah, I was going Down Hill at the time. But still....

For me anyhow, that's pretty damn Fast on a Bicycle! xct2

Cowboy Rider

Apr 20, 2009
Illinois
you know what even more sad? i can sustain 32mph on my 24 speed with my legs on flat with no wind. lol
Well; after the Engine Install, mine is now only a six speed Pedal Bike cause I had to remove the Front Derailer devise. I can get maybe 14 MPH on my own under ideal conditions in top gear. (Down hill, Wind at my back, etc. ...)

You also must be in much better shape than I am. Me, I drink like a fish, smoke like a chimney and am getting old and arthritic. My knees are Shot and there are times when I'm feeling lucky to even be able to stand up without some sort of outside assistance. If it weren't for that Engine on my bike, there's no way in **** (heck) I would have 571 miles on it this year.

So Personally, yeah. I'm in bad shape. But that Engine Build sure has been fun for me!!

I just Love it when the engine is running good and I can get out of town a little for a good Cruise! .rd.

Last edited:

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
ahem. lol im not in that great of shape either, i forgot my MB has a top speed of 24MPH so yea, thats all i can do lol

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
You should try a 36 tooth sprocket, or even a 32 if you're light and don't go up steep hills-

more than the top end, they give a nice cruise speed without opening up the motor so much.

Also smoother and/or more narrow tires are quicker, and beyond less rolling resistence, they don't vibrate the way most knobby tires on mountain bikes do.

Cowboy Rider

Apr 20, 2009
Illinois
LOL, humsuckler!

So if we ever race, I'd better Demand that you use the MB. Otherwise, you might well beat me! :-|| <---Add a little bit of Smoke from that engined bike, and the Graphic would be Perfect!)

Nash Kat:

The source for my 2 cycle kit.... I've checked into the alleged Option of a 44 tooth gear. (Stock is a 50) I wasn't able to find anything that will sandwich onto the Spokes like the 50 tooth gear did. The only thing I found was a Sprocket that would go to an older system that is apparently no longer available to go with my set up. :confused: IIRC, a 5 hole sprocket is available still, but I'd need a 9 hole sprocket to fit my wheels on hand here.

Also. About the tires.

I gave up some Mountain Bike Tires in favor of some Road Cruiser/White Wall tires. The tread is pretty weak (less rolling resistance) but are still of the larger size (26x2.125) and it still vibrates like heck.

You're not suggesting that I go to the really thin 1 3/8" skinny little tires, are ya? My wife has those on her 12 speed Road (pedal) bike, and I'd be afraid to put the power of an Engine on those little skinny a$$ tires. Besides, at an Inflation Spec of 65 PSI, I should think that those would actually give a rather Harsh ride over even the smallest of road bumps at speeds that approach 30 MPH!

Or, am I wrong on this? Still, to go down to such a skinny tire, I'd have to get new wheels for them to fit. There's a bit of a difference in Rim Sizes between 2 1/4" to 1 3/8".

Maybe it's just me, but with the Engine... I'd rather have the biggest tires that I can get on that bike. Especially since my main goal is 35 MPH. If I can ever hit 35 MPH on this dang thing, y'all can call me one Very Happy "Cowboy Rider!".wee.