rear suspension

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Welllll...yes. I thought at first it had to much flex. Well, I just didn't have all points cinched tight. After that the only other part that concerned me was that the(ill call them girders) brackets that connect seat stays to the shock,were a weak spot. Maybe cut out solid ones. It didn't flex...but I only had,what 40 miles on it.dang sellers remorse !..lol. I thought the way I did on the build cuz,a seat shock sits you to high. A seat post shock,a cloud nine...just as good. To do it again..id go with swing arm twin shock motorcycle style. Ummm. Time heals wounds,they say,welcome back.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Well came across another genesis v 2100.Sooo, another marriage soon to begin. Swing arm and shocks is just to much fab for me ..refering to what i said above

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Yeah here's the new way. Rather then place bb into bb, it will be placed behind existing bb, so I gain 1" from bb to rear axle.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Looks good!!!

Run a bb jackshaft and you won't have any chain tension issues, like cannonball-
http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=632957&postcount=16

Maybe you can run dual rate springs in the shock to get some anti-squat. Upon acceleration your front end is gonna get unloaded a whole lot... Though maybe it doesn't matter for the hp we're dealing with... But it's a big deal on full size motorcycles.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Hey 01, this guy has a bicycle repair, resale, wrecking yard and here was the frame I made the other rear sus. with, It just followed me home. The cruiser frame was in his scrap iron bin, so it came along. The marriage begins.And I'm not selling this one!! It's gonna be my daily. I don't take off fast enough for 'squat' to happen. I think I learned a couple things to make this one better.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Hey wow what nice way to add rear suspension. Hope the marriage last....
You talkin to yerself? That's the sign of a creative mind.

I gotta quit reading your posts. You got me started on this Briggs thing.

A few weeks back I pulled a full suspension frame from a trash pile on the roadside. You got the wheels in my head turning again. Just what I need!

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Glad I could help CB2...lol. I'd like to try a set up running the shock underneath the top tube.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Hey, 01, forgive my ignorance, squat, does matter, that's what went wrong with the first 'rear suspension' build, had to switch to a 1.95 tire to keep from rubbing Js, didn't see it until I sat on it.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
heh.. the anti squat is about reducing the compression of rear suspension during acceleration. If you look at most motorcycle rear suspensions the pivot is higher than the wheel axle.. this puts the rearward force along the swingarm and prevents the suspension from compressing as much due to acceleration. Bikes with not enough anti-squat will go wide coming out of a turn as the suspension unloads the front coming out of a corner.. I was just thinking about it cause I'm designing a rear suspension.. I just wonder how much it would affect our bikes. But those bikes with flat or negative swingarm angles can run dual rate springs in the shock to reduce the compression past a certain point..

clearances can be a b*tch can't they...

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
question for you = do you think that style of rear suspension pivot can handle high horsepower? like 20hp lets say? Your builds have inspired me to do something similar. I have a line on a cheap suspension bike to cut and fit to a cruiser frame already.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Whew..im not really sure. I didn't log alot of miles on build 1 to know how it would hold up. I'm doing another hoping that others would try there hand at a dual build, and maybe come up with a bomb proof idea. If I didn't come across this bike, I was working with spring saddle ideas.