Opinions on motorizing bikes to sell

GoldenMotor.com
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I want to build some simple motorized bikes to re sell. Probably single speed beach cruisers and just add a front brake. I will eventually try to stock at least one Huasheng 49cc and one 2 stroke. To start off I figure 2 stroke kit though. Anybody have thoughts on what budget kit you would do with re selling as the goal?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I wouldn't build a single speed bike just because re-making it to have 2 really good brakes takes time & money that is greater than just starting with 2 good brakes (always nicer when you don't get sued for building something unsafe). Also for that extra labor reason, I only use new bikes.

For kits, I've been using sashawigs2009 on eBay who gives me a good deal on bulk orders & has nice kits. (did 10 last month & just got another 10 two days ago)

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Thanks for the tips!!! I just ordered a motor from your eBay seller to try it out. I am a Micargi and Caraci dealer so I can do single speed bikes with two brakes pretty easily. It goes against everything 30 years working in bike shops on and off but I may try a Huffy Cranbrook build. I can add a disc brake set up on the stock parts and re build the rear hub with loose ball bearings and high performance grease so it should be decent. The comparable Micargi cruiser has thinner spokes and low flange hubs so the Huffy may actually a better base, I'm still trying to get my head around that ha ha. This is really a test bike but I will post it for sale to test the waters. There are a couple builders in my town with motorized bikes starting at 399 on craigslist so I need a winning combination at a cost of about 250 to 275 max.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I got one guy in area that builds OK bikes at $295, but with one brake - I build better, and have two brakes and CDI mounted under motor for looks. Do OK at about $400 as I don't have access to wholesale bikes.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
It's tough to compete at $295 the problem being people will gravitate to the lowest number no matter how bad. His post could probably read "Low quality, unreliable, flat out dangerous, motorized bikes starting at $295" and people will go to his post. I should feel lucky at $399 I guess. I hope to have a very inexpensive offering but have a 4 stroke with front and rear disc available for say 6 to 7 hundred that will sell at least to some people. I set up the Caraci deal and can hook you up directly with the importer if you ever have a need. My friend runs the brick and mortar store and feeds me the Micargi bikes thru there if I want them. If you want the inside to setting up as a dealer with either PM me and I will get you the info.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Oh and the eBay seller you recommended already processed my order and sent the tracking info. He must have done it almost instantly which inspires confidence. I am excited to get my hands on the kit and go thru it. I will pull at least the top end off and clean up the cylinder and probably change the head nuts and a few of the known problem fasteners. Any recommendations on upgrades his particular kits need?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
over the time I've been ordering, he's taken my suggestions to use wide front mount motors, and longer clutch arms - he also started shipping rubber boots for CDIs and a really nice tensioner that can be set with one hand since the pulley bolt locks in the slot

he used to ship with top end off, but lately just the head is on loosely

I'm mostly just a repair shop and don't build enough to need a lot of bikes - half my kits get the motor sold out of them as replacements, then the kit parts go on the shelves for sale as repair parts.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
The kit definitely sounds good. I was looking close at the pics and the quality looks above average. And the upgrades you say are already in it sound great too. It may be hard to put it up for sale ha ha.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
once you start ordering 10 at a time at 50# per box, you'll be thinking of giving them away rather than moving those boxes again

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
The wheels don't have anything specific about them for Caraci. I'm sorry I don't remember the specific tpi and size, I bought 4 spares and can't find them or I would send you some. Any regular bike shop will though, just not a normal hardware store.