You guys are nice, I'm not..

GoldenMotor.com

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
"You guys make the forum"

...and is a pleasure to hang out with you.
Well said!

I have only been a member for a few months, and I can honestly say this is the friendliest and most helpful forum I have had the pleasure of joining. You guys do make the forum, and it is a great one :)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've been here for a few years now, and spent a lot of time answering the most basic questions over and over and over. i've even dedicated whole threads to some of the most common "problems" people have, and some of those threads are stickies, and if you take 39 seconds to look, you can find them.

it used to frustrate me all the time when someone just wants an easy answer, and when you give them the truth, they've already made up their mind and don't listen to me anyway.

my least favorite is the "which cheap piece of junk bike from the grocery store is better?" question.

everytime i get involved in those threads, it just gets ugly.

people don't like being told that an $89 dollar bicycle isn't exactly the ideal candidate for a 40mph mini-motorcycle.

i love it when those same people come back with "why did my frame crack?" or "help! broken spokes!" and they think there's some kind of magic fix or bizarre reason why their toy bike didn't withstand the abuse a motor puts it through.

then there's the bad advice from "elite members." just because they post a lot and built a few questionably sound bikes, doesn't mean they know why your bike quit running ("it's a bad magneto..." "...you need a triple electrode platinum plug gapped at .0262..." "...drill holes in your piston to let the backpressure ignite the un-spent exhaust gasses built up in the combu..."

or, " well, on my dad's stihl chainsaw, if i hold it on too much of a left angle, it stalls out, so that's the reason your honda generator won't charge your electric bike..."

you get the idea.:)

this forum is an invaluable tool for the beginner and the seasoned builder alike. i know some people who check it out many times a day, and never post, and there's others who use it like facebook ("went to the store today to buy shoelaces...")

sometimes i'm nice, sometimes i'm not, sometimes i just don't care if you wanna put di$c brake$ on a ¢heap ¢ruiser...

webeneo1

Apr 17, 2012
Denver
The ones that give the bad advice are really the worst.

These days it's rare to find someone who will admit they just don't know something.

Just because you hear or read something does not make it true.

When you really understand how things work is when your an expert.

Untell then your just repeating what may or may not be correct.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
bad advice... sort of like telling somebody to use JB Weld on the head to raise the compression in a chinadoll 2stroke

not gonna touch that thread that was in as I would most likely get banned for my responces

Last edited:

multipaul

Mar 31, 2012
Germany
When I take on a hobby I deeply research it.

Like this one. I read huge amounts of posts on this site. Searched for any posts that I thought may be able to answer any questions I might have, also did the same on another similar forum.

I figured out who the suppliers and manufactures are. Go on there sites and research them also.

I'm sure I have made a few thousand Goggle searches.
So did I. And I am a little bit disappointed that most people don't want to know as much as possible. "...it's enough to know where the fuel comes in. When there are any problems I can ask the forum." That is one extreme. The other extreme are the people who want to know the finest details. And there is the mass which is somewhere between them.

In my forum I am a kind of living encyclopedia about 20 years engine and bike history, each ever build in part, each screw. It is common forum praxis that people ask the same things. When there are old threads, we put the link. But often old links aren't up to date. New facts have been found in the meantime so that the old links sometimes are overtaken and not helpful.
I do not answer every question there. It is a forum and the members are glad when they can help. If someone is tired, another answers. If nobody can answer it is my part to try it and do my best.
The climate is important, how people treat each other. In my forum we are not as polite as it is here, but just as good. You notice when people come back and stay.

Multipaul

PS: My motto using a forum.
Language is freeware. You are allowed to use it for free. But it is not opensource. You must not distort or bend it depending on your pleasure.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's often said that there are no stupid questions, despite the great availability of stupid answers.

As for shouting for help when things go wrong, I wish I'd done it more often over the years, not less.

I've read threads here, researched elsewhere, and I'm not ashamed to own up to ignorance on things I've never dealt with before. Experience has taught me that learning from other peoples' mistakes is cheaper and less painful than learning from my own, and if somebody comes along and doesn't know the difference between a 2 stroke and a waltz, I'll help with the little I know. We all started somewhere.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
You can't assume someone asking a question is lazy just because you know how to use a search tool. My 97 year old grandma doesn't know how to turn on a computer much less know how to use a search tool. The very fact someone wants to use a MB for basic transportation tells you something (like me they ain't rich). We assume people know things they might not have even ever been exposed to. I throw out a lot of ideas that are not founded to spark discussion from those more learned like Yank. I learn alot like that and I try to disclaimer my ideas with I'm not sure this works but... I'm sure that dude with a key on a kite string was thought to be an idiot too. Had a guy the other day didn't know how to post pics turns out he was on a cell phone but he sounded like he was clueless. Took some dialogue to figure that out.

OTOH someone the other day just plain out said he wasn't gonna spend time to research wanted a quick answer...I don't operate a blue horse stable so he had to ride on LOL!

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
I would just like to say - thank you - to those of you who have put up with some of my stoopid questions. I do search quite often for answers but am sometimes unclear on the answers I find. I also am using a cell phone to participate as internet is not an option at my home for the time being. This is the first forum I have ever really been apart of and the way I am treated here directly affects my stay. The members here are generaly nice and it makes me want to post more and answer posts that I can.
I use this forum a lot. Mostly because I haven't seen a single MB other than mine where I live. And mine is the first one I have ever seen in person. So with the lack of others locally this forum is my lifeline to any issues I may have

Thanks again
Deathmetal mike from splendora TX \m/ >.< \m/

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
I apprecitate the attempt to help me out - unfortunately I have a stoopid blackberry and seems people only developing software for Iphones and androids. I may end up with an Iphone soon as my company will be upgrading in the next hundred years or so loooool they #1 company in the world yet they last to upgrade anything bwahahahahahahaha

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
(just smiles)

I have been designing, hosting and running (with a couple helpers) several web sites for over a decade, my MB site the last 2 years and all are forum based so I like how the Mods here are savvy of how to keep the peace.

There are dicks that need the boot sometimes, I like to use this image among others for that purpose.

This topic is "You guys are nice, I'm not.."

Like you I learned before I started and the people here were patient with me, but I do get a little irritated with people on their 20th new topic post about the same problem but never even answered the initial questions because he assumes all of us has the same everything as him.

Come on, you have to smile about that assumption ;-}

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I belong to alot of the RC forums, John Deere Garden Tractor forums, Motorbike forums, Catfishing and boating forums, etc. etc. As long as someone is talking about any one of those subjects....I personally don't care how many times the same question gets asked or how pointless some questions may seem. I am happy to talk shop with any vets or newbs about any one of those subjects. All the forums I visit have the same 10,000 threads about which oil to use or which is the best this or the best that? Heck...it don't bother me none! I am just glad there are folks out there who are enjoying the same hobby I do. The more folks who become involved with motorized bikes = more new products and cool stuff designed and built to feed those folks interest. I still believe in the old saying that "the only stupid question is the one not asked."

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I think that most of those (so-called) stupid newbie questions fall into the category that was mentioned a few posts above; they think that there's some magic bullet type answer and that someone who has it is standing by waiting to give it.

Yes, it's pretty silly. Especially when you consider that merely reading these forums will give the answers we need plus answers to questions that we didn't even know we had.

But even these silly questions serve a rather important purpose; other newbies will read them. (Probably more than the old-timers will, for that matter) A lot of them will just never get it. They'll insist over and over that they can't possibly adjust a caliper brake and they'll wistfully hope for an actual fix by computer. Then they'll drop out.

But some of them will catch fire. They'll become interested. They'll still make mistakes on their first build, but they'll improve on their second build and so on. And then they'll become useful and intelligent companions for the rest of us. And then they'll become old-timers, helping out the newbies.

A similar sort of thing in the real world: Have you ever seen a new MB pop up in your neighborhood? Too often I've seen it and thought, 'Hmm, I'll have to talk to him one of these days'. Then I'll see him 2 or 3 times over the next month or two. Then he'll disappear.

I know the explanation for most of these instances. The guy bought a kit and just barely managed to get it together. But he didn't study forums like this one, he didn't make himself learn as much as he could and when something went wrong he was unable to fix it and didn't give it much of a try. Now the bike's sitting in his garage collecting dust.

That's the sort of newbie who asks unnecessary questions and then doesn't bother checking the answers. Or who rejects the answers that he does get.

But at least stuff like that separates the sheep from the goats. And that's okay.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I belong to alot of the RC forums, John Deere Garden Tractor forums, Motorbike forums, Catfishing and boating forums, etc. etc. As long as someone is talking about any one of those subjects....I personally don't care how many times the same question gets asked or how pointless some questions may seem. I am happy to talk shop with any vets or newbs about any one of those subjects. All the forums I visit have the same 10,000 threads about which oil to use or which is the best this or the best that? Heck...it don't bother me none! I am just glad there are folks out there who are enjoying the same hobby I do. The more folks who become involved with motorized bikes = more new products and cool stuff designed and built to feed those folks interest. I still believe in the old saying that "the only stupid question is the one not asked."
Pretty cool Roo. Ayup, me too.

.flg.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I still believe in the old saying that "the only stupid question is the one not asked."
In my freshman physics class far too long ago, this scenario played out:

Student: Professor, I have a stupid question.
Professor: The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked.
Student: Your example, is that like shortwave radio?
Professor: That question should have remained unasked...

laff That student did not ask any more questions for the rest of the semester.