MTB handlebars on a cruiser?

GoldenMotor.com

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
looks pretty cool. I might give it a shot. I tried out some ape hangers, but they don't look quite right on this bike.

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
Heres a set of aluminum flat bars on my cruiser. I like them because I'm 6' but I built my bike on a 18" frame in order to keep good proportions with the engine. Running the flat bars allows me to stretch out some. I distressed the whole bike so the bars aren't really that beat.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
EZ enuf to try flat bars on your mab... all the cables on your existing bars will fit.

Sticky wicket to try apes! lol

I like apes for the feel, and really don't care much for the look on a bicycle.

Heck! It's ur cruiser... run whatever feels best for u!

There's quite a lot of different stems available and even adjustable ones to change the flatbar around to where you might like it.

I'm looking for a supplier of bulk cable, to run apes on two mabs and a pusher on a third.
If I can't find em cheap enuf I may end up running a two piece cable. fine for the throttle, but shaky for a brake! lol

Good luck
rc

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
the apehangers would look good if I had a smaller front wheel with longer forks, raked out a little. But, I can't weld yet. (Hopefully I'll be learning soon. There's a Tech Spot coming to my area....it's like a gym, with equipment & classes for members....but it's a garage!)

The Flying Fart looks pretty good right now. (I'll have to put new pics up.) But every now & then I bang my knee on the handlebars. If I raise the bars any, it ain't gonna look as cool. I'm not sure which is more important.

Besides the cruisers & the ape hangers, I've got about 4 mt. bikes & a Free Spirit Greenbriar (3 speed) I can use for parts. Plus a set of....weird handlebars that I can't really describe. The guy that helped me build the FF gave em to me. They kinda look like board tracker bars, if you turn em upside down. I'm not sure I'm ready to lean my face that far into my bike though....I've already got an unfortunate tendency to land on my mouth in bike accidents.

I was mainly asking for pics 'cause I've been trying on different setups & I got tired of messing with the cables before I tried on the mt. bike bars. Speaking of cables, don't they sell spools of uncut brake cable, rustycase?

That's a nice-looking bike, motorbikermark.
I'll post some updated pics along with a shot of the weird handlebars soon.

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
love those forks, msrfan! are they custom? Both bikes are really sharp.

Tonight, the snow stuck to the road for the first time this winter. That's probably the end of my riding for a few days, at least til I know i won't be splashing salt water all up in my bizness. Looks like I just found the time to try out another set.

The pics you all posted convinced me it can look good. Heck, I'm WAY more used to mt bike bars than cruiser bars, anyway. Now I just have to resist the urge to scavenge my daily rider....

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
Turns out the city didn't salt, so I did some riding instead of working on the bike today. The handlebars will still be there tomorrow.....this nice, clear, relatively-dry weather probably won't be.

Man, Bairdco, you've always got such nice-looking bikes. The other day I was talking about how my engine never seems to get enough air, so I joked about bending a pipe around so the air would just get rammed into my intake ....I see you've actually got a setup kinda like that. Is there anything I should be warned of before I start experimenting?

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
that's pretty cool. I have a few different kinds of goosenecks/stems, but not one like that. I'll have to keep an eye out...