What was your best bicycle find?

GoldenMotor.com

aquileus

Jan 24, 2011
Puerto Rico
About 10 years ago, when my grandma pass away, we storage some of her stuff in a trailer, here's the find. I don't know the models yet.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I bought an old Huffy w/3-speed hub and a complete, nonworking Bike Bug engine for $35. It's a low-priority project now.

But my best find has to be my 2000Trek bicycle for $200. The owner bought it new 10 years ago for $800. It had sat neglected these past three years.

Mounted on it is a Staton gearbox, a NuVinci hub and a Mitsubishi TLE43 engine (not broken in yet). I couldn't find a ride to the seller's house, so I told him I'd buy the bike (sight unseen) if he brought it to my house. The seller trucked it over to my place, after pumping up the tires and putting fresh gas. After paying the man, I fired it up, then rode to the adjacent park. That bike climbed up the steep grassy knoll effortlessly.

I WAS gonna sell it to another member. He hasn't called back, so it'll be my "back up" vehicle to commute to work.drn2

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
So far my best find is probably a guy we went and picked up a bike trailer from. He repairs and sells bikes in his garage/back yard. He has hundreds of them, anything and everything from kids to adult, cruisers, MTBs, even a couple of trikes, some bikes with springer forks, and all kinds of other interesting accessories and mods. He probably buys them from yard sales and CL and then works on them, but I haven't bought anything except the trailer so far.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've scored so many bikes at great deals it's hard to pick my best score.

one of my favorites, though, is a 1978 S&S Newport BMX cruiser i bought for $180 a few months ago. it's like brand new, probably stored for 30 years. i've seen those frames alone sell for over a grand to nostalgic bmx'ers.

i was gonna put a motor on it, but too many people talked me out of it. it's too rare to ruin it.

i'll post some pics when i'm not on my phone...