more leaks!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Scootershack

Jun 21, 2011
North Dakota
ok so i took off my air filter yesterday to see how much better my bike performs an isaw that i had gas all over the place soaked in my filter. any ideas why and how to fix?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If it is a 2-stroke Chinese engine, that is normal. After the intake charge is drawn into the crankcase, port open and piston traveling up, the piston has to travel down before the intake port is covered. During that brief time the intake charge will actually get pushed backwards out the port and backwards through the carburetor which will soak the air filter element over a short time. This is but one more reason why a reed valve in the intake is desired. The only way to fix it is to install a reed valve, which some have crafted themselves as none are marketed for these engines yet.

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
When you say "soaked" how much was actually in it ? Was it just damp to the touch or did you wring a shot glass full out of it. Soaked is not normal. I'm guessing its a foam filter ? Do you have a pic of your bike around ? I would like to see the angle of your carb. A pic of your spark plug too if you can get it.

Only need the pics if soaked. If just damp , ride on.

Last edited:

Scootershack

Jun 21, 2011
North Dakota
yeah its pretty much soaked there is fuel sitting on the bottom of my air filter. i have other leaks on it like how my fuel lin is tight on the fuel tank but is loose on the carb and icant get a hose clamp to fit around it because the carb is in the way. i would put pics on here but my computer wont let me.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Are you sure that the float height is not adjusted too high?

When a hose clamp fails me, I double wrap the hose with safety wire and twist it tightly around the hose. Works every time and lasts forever or until I cut it off.

Scootershack

Jun 21, 2011
North Dakota
Duh!! I feel so stupid now!! Im a farm kid and could't figure out the wire thing..i put one on but didn't twist it right. Wow!! Will do thanks. I couln't get my bike to start up last night but maybe thats because my petcock was shut off but there was still fuel in the line. It probably just couldn't pull it down..it should be all good.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Never feel stupid, I have blond moments myself. And yes if the petcock isnt open and the tank is empty and there is fuel in the line it will not be able to pul the fuel in from the line.