Is this thing on? I'm rockhopper.

GoldenMotor.com

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Hi all. I'm new to forums. Good to be here.

About me: One of my hobbies is riding and learning to wrench on a dual sport motorcycle. A Suzuki DR650SE to be exact. It's a great bike but that's not what I'm here to talk about.

My father had a Whizzer when he was a kid. For 30 years he talked about wanting one when finally one day last year he bought one. A 1949 model. He found it on ebay for $1500. It had been nicely restored but never ridden or dialed in. We've broken it in and worked all the bugs out of it and it really is a surprisingly nice ride. It'll do 32mph with a 210 lb rider.

Well, it now needs a riding buddy. We have an early 2000 Specialized Rock Hopper bicycle in near pristine condition. I want to make a modern version of the Whizzer with it.

So far my internet searches have driven me to two conclusions. A CH80 with a jack shaft to take advantage of the gearing already there or a Honda GHX50 setup. No clue.

I'm in over my head here. If you could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks all!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum rockhopper, glad you joined us.

A good motor and the shift kit is not a bad choice. I have a Rockhopper with no shift kit and 30mph + is not a problem. You do know here in AZ we have a 20mph speed limit for motorized bicycles that are not registered as a moped.

Hope you decide soon on your set up, you get it going hope you can make it to Death Race
http://motorbicycling.com/f35/death-race-2010-a-16596.html

.wee.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

A good motor and the shift kit is not a bad choice. I have a Rockhopper with no shift kit and 30mph + is not a problem. You do know here in AZ we have a 20mph speed limit for motorized bicycles that are not registered as a moped.

Hope you decide soon on your set up, you get it going hope you can make it to Death Race

.wee.
Cool. You are exactly the guy I wanted to talk to.

Talk to me about what you like and dislike about your choice. I'm kinda fat (210 lbs) and would prefer some low end torque. Ideally, I would like a fully automatic transmission. Is that possible?

Thanks,

JC

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

.wee.
I guess I'll be a badaXX biker.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The only close to a automatic would be to get a motor with a centrifugal clutch.

I am running the big motor with a 36t sprocket, motor has some work done to it but not much. If you are looking for low end I would stick with the 44t with your weight. Of course this will limit your top speed unless you go with a shifter kit.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks fr31.

Did you have to upgrade to stronger spokes with your setup? That was my main consideration for using the shaft kit. The stock spokes seem a little spindly.

Here's a link to a build very similar (but even more spartan) to your setup that I like. I hope it shows up. loady gets lazy - ADVrider

It's not that I mind pedaling. This is for a 72 year old man who doesn't always like pedaling.

Thanks for the info. cvlt1

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
welcome from FH :)
if you ever get out this way, we can go for a ride ;)
Thanks Bill!

Any excuse to get out to Fountain Hills is a good excuse. I love your town and will take you up on your offer in the future.

Here's a little of the back story with this project...

My Aunt and Uncle on my father's side come to visit my dad each year for the three months of January, February, and March. They're from Michigan. My uncle is a retired engineer, experimental airplane pilot, mechanic, and all around sharp guy. He has to be kept busy. He'll go crazy otherwise. Throughout the year we make lists of projects to keep him occupied. Although he's built a complete motorcycle from the ground up he had never ridden one. Well that changed this year. He got interested in the Whizzer and put about 200 miles on it. Then he rode one of our motorcycles around a few times. And today, I'm very proud to say he did a 70 mile trip on a motorcycle with my dad. He's hooked.

This project is for him. It will basically be his bike for when he's in Phoenix. I will buy all the stuff and hold it for him until January 2011. Sure I could put it together but this will be his fun.

You may regret it, but next year you may very well have two new friends.

Thanks,

cvlt1