break in time?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
masterx,
"super hot" is a relative term. It will get hot enough that you don't want to touch it, and that's normal. The exhaust pipe/muffler will really burn as with any internal combustion engine so be careful and keep little kids away after a ride. As for a cool down period, these engines, 2 or 4 stroke, are all air cooled and once reaching operating temperature (which can happen fast at warm ambient temperatures) will normally run there without a break. I wouldn't worry about allowing for a rest period unless maybe you're doing a lot of heavy hill climbing and carrying a load. During the initial break-in, at least a couple of gallons burned, try not to run your engine with wide open throttle except for short times. Vary your speed from slow to an occasional blast but don't abuse it and it will perform for you. They get better as they age, like a good wine, so you have that to look forward to. Good luck, ride careful.
Tom

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I believe I read in another post you are not running a muffler...is that right? Your motor may be running way to lean which will cause the motor to run hot and possibly seize.

masterx1234

May 7, 2009
grayson Kentucky
im using 2-cycle engine oil(same kind for my lawn mower). i couldn't find synthetic oil where i live. so my engine is pretty much awesome now, i fixed the muffler problem and my gas line problem, so im gonna be making some vids to put on youtube, be sure to check out my channel : im mastax1234 on youtube. thank you all for your help on here. if i have anymore problems ill post them, so far everything is perfect

Last edited: