Hello from Tennessee

GoldenMotor.com

TheWizardVillage

Jul 29, 2015
Tennessee
Hello.

I'm Spencer of Tennessee.

I was in Denver this past week visiting a friend who purchased a huffy bike with an already installed 49 cc china motor kit. It was a lot of fun but the bike was very loose and did not feel safe.

After coming home to Tennessee, surfing the web, and reading through countless pages of forums I went out and bought a fixer-upper. I'm sure this wasn't the best idea since I found some solid built bikes for $300 within a 2 hr drive but the bike I found on craigslist was only 3 miles a way and I talked the guy down to $100 so in-my-eyes its worth the adventure and learning curve.

It looks like a 1980s Murray?
With a cheap china kit.

I immediately removed the fuel tank which was welded using a penny to cover a hole in the tank. I chunked it in the woods, but I'll go outside tomorrow to retrieve it so you guys can enjoy a picture of the craftsmanship.

The hand grip throttle was busted so I took it off but the cable was still in descent condition. Do I need a throttle grip designated for motor bicycles or would this grip work as well?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...ntrol-Scooter-SPORT-Street-BIKE-/221712027084

Tomorrow I will get new hoses, clean the carb, and fix the bike up cosmetically.

I ordered a 3L fuel tank and several fuel filters online. So whenever they get in I'll be good to go (I hope) but I also still need to find some nice throttle grips.

Any suggestions and advice is encouraged.

So far I have
$100 in the bike
$30 in 3L tank & fuel filter
$?? in hand grip throttle
If I can get a working bike with spending less than $200 I'd be a very happy camper :)

Attachments

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome to the clubhouse!!

Looks like you've got a good start. Just make sure every bolt is tight and all the bearings have the proper amount of grease. Best of luck and have some fun!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You've found the right place to get you on the road.
It looks like you made a good deal. The bike certainly has potential if you take your time and do it right. I see nothing of great concern. You have a good start.

Which bolt is missing from the engine? Probably a mount fastener? If it is broken off in the case there is a lot of good information here on ways to remove it. Broken fasteners are common and mostly due to people over tightening them.

Curious about your trip to Denver. Did the owner of the bike you mentioned say he was a member of our forum? There are a few Denver area builders who are members. Maybe I know your friend.

Tom

TheWizardVillage

Jul 29, 2015
Tennessee
My friend is just living in the area for a bit so he bought his bike off craigslist. It was put together well but the bike itself was of cheap material and felt dangerous.

Yes it was a mount fastener, Ill start searching on how to fix it thanks for the welcome.xct2

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Welcome to the forum Spencer.
You'll get all the help you need here. If you can't find the answers you need in the search bar up top, just ask. There's very little you could imagine to do/ fix on a MAB that someone here isn't familiar with.

By the way, I think the penny is cool. Can't see it with the tank mounted anyway, right? lol