Hello from Texas

GoldenMotor.com

alesterfeind

Nov 18, 2014
Flower Mound, TX
About 7 years ago I got into motorbicycling, and built a few bikes. I had to sell all my toys when we began moving around the area. Now that we are settled, I want to build another bike.

Any suggestions on the brands with the better quality engines and where to get them?

Thanks for any information. I look forward to posting some pics of my bike once I have it ready.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You've found the right place to share this hobby. It sounds like you already have the basics based on experience but if there are questions we can help you with, feel free to ask.
Our 'Search' also can offer you many pages of discussion on any subject related to motorized bicycles.

Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Like Tom said, welcome to the forum. I got into these in 2010, all of the newer engines have needle bearings at the piston pin, unlike the early engines with a bushing. We have seen a few improvements the last couple of years but the engines are basically the same design. The good thing is there are a lot more suppliers of parts both stock and after market from many vendors, a lot of which advertise on the sides of the forum.

alesterfeind

Nov 18, 2014
Flower Mound, TX
Thanks. That is what I was wondering if the engines have changed any, and if there was gravitation by members to certain brands and dealers. Sounds like Dax and some of the others are still around, so I should be able to find something good.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I don't own one but a lot of members like the longer stroke engine like That Dax and others sell. They are 40mm stroke instead of 38mm like the earlier engines. They are 69cc engines.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Electric Brush less Hub Motors come highly recommended from me, specifically crystalite, but that is just because its the only one I've used.
The other electric motor I used was a brushed electric motor that was chain drove the rear wheel on a curry ezip. Was much less effective (but a fraction the cost :p)
Very noisy in comparison, but would still get me where I wanted to get.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yes I agree, it's time to move into the future. Electric is where it's at now. Riding around Dallas I'm running into more people on electric bicycles, than gas bicycles. Electrics are more fun because you can ride them on city bike trails.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Any recommendations on an electric setup?
http://www.electricrider.com/
if you already have a bike frame in mind and it's steel then you can Slap a hub Motor on it. (apparently aluminum is not strong enough for higher powered Hub motors)These guys worked with my budget and got me the best setup for my area. I ended up with one that has more torque then top speed because of the hills in Austin.
I'm riding currently with 72 volts and 15 amp hour batteries

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
The motor, batteries, and cycleanalyst ran me 2k. if I had another 250 at the time I would have gone for the 20AH battery. Probably upgrade to it in like 3 years.
Its an investment, but keeping up with it is easy as making sure the rest of the bike is up to snuff. eventually the batteries will need replacing, but that shouldn't be for a while.
Right now its quite nice seeing my project come together, I wish it was done already but bit by bit I'm seeing it get closer to what I'm envisioning. Some day there may be a sidecar attached to my bike ;)

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
welcome fellow Texan, Im partial myself to the dax F80/GenIV 40mm stroke engines, I have others and am currently tinkering with an ebay kit with what some are calling a Half Breed engine.

The GenIV engi es have the best balanced cranks of any of the engines Ive run, not hard to make a omfortable 40mph cruiser with them and their have good quality bearings.

Im not I to the electric stuff myself and probably never will be until I need one of those mobility scooters...!

Batteries will never reace internal combustion engines but for people who dont ride long distance and live in the city they're great.

Ill take the engines myself and if you go that way I'll tell you that I dont think you would regret the dax 40mm stroke engine.

There may be other s as good but the ones dax sells are the best Ive used.