Hello from Michigan

GoldenMotor.com

Artificer161

Sep 17, 2012
South Eastern Michigan
Hi Everyone,
I am out here In south eastern Michigan and have been thinking about building a motorized bicycle for some time. Decided a month ago that it would be this winters project. Started surfing the web and found this great forum. Learned alot just lurking here, hope to learn some more soon.
Sience I was 12 I have had a love for motorcycles and just about anything with two wheels I could strap an engine to. My father never liked it always worried about me but was always eager to help me work on an egine or give his advice. With his passing I have found myself falling into a rut lately and havent stepped out and done much other than the day to day. I hope by being a member here and working on a new bike project it will snap me out of it. Thanks for reading.
Any other members from south eastern Michigan?

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
A West Sider and fairly new member myself here. Hello to you too! There are quite a few of us mitten dwellers on the forum and you can find some of us on the member map: http://zeemaps.com/map?group=178631
I sit at a computer for most of my day and although I really enjoy my job I need a brain dump or pressure release and stepping into the garage to tinker with my bike or just surfing for the next idea gets me out of my head for a while. Dirty finger nails are good therapy. Also started reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" which was a gift from my wife. She sees the value in my hobby as well despite the time and money commitment.

Artificer161

Sep 17, 2012
South Eastern Michigan
im sorry for your loss its hard to lose any family and i hope our little group can help with what you need in any aspect :)
Thanks JonnyR, Just the little looking I did around this site last night convinces me I came to the right place. Alot to learn here. Plus the fact that at least 2 people welcomed me out of the 73 who just looked at the thrread and moved on.

Artificer161

Sep 17, 2012
South Eastern Michigan
A West Sider and fairly new member myself here. Hello to you too! There are quite a few of us mitten dwellers on the forum and you can find some of us on the member map: http://zeemaps.com/map?group=178631
I sit at a computer for most of my day and although I really enjoy my job I need a brain dump or pressure release and stepping into the garage to tinker with my bike or just surfing for the next idea gets me out of my head for a while. Dirty finger nails are good therapy. Also started reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" which was a gift from my wife. She sees the value in my hobby as well despite the time and money commitment.
Thanks for the link to the Map Harold_B. I can already see a few members near by. As For Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, already read it, very classsic book. Right now Im looking for books about the early motorcycles, the early 1900's bikes. So far have only found one book on the subject dosent seem to be mush out there in print.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i love working on my bike it makes me feel better about all sorts of things or just going out and taking a blast around on something you built is nice all by it self hope you stick around and post your build when you are ready lots of pictures :)

digitalgodd

Aug 15, 2012
Minnesota
Hi i'm new here also. welcome to the board and this fun underground hobby. I work at a fairly well known ATV and snowmobile manufacturer and work some long hours. I love to jump on my bike and fly around town (when it runs of course hahaha). Or even just tinkering with the motor in the yard is a great escape and stress reliever.

Artificer161

Sep 17, 2012
South Eastern Michigan
JonnR,
I totally get what you are saying. I own 3 motorcycles and have been running them almost daily here this summer and now into the fall. I work on everything I own including my often broke down truck, fixed that today and drove it into work. Very satisfying.

Paul,
Thanks for the invite, no longer live in battle creek? I haven’t been out that way in some time.

Harlod B,
No it is not that book, but thank you so much for showing me that one I am ordering it asap! The book I was referring to is Motorized Bicycles By Tom Bartlett. I haven’t got my hands on it yet just ordered it a few days ago. Thanks again for showing me the book!

Mannhouse51,
Thanks for the invite and yes it will, but I will have a great project to keep me warm.

Digitalgodd,
I hear ya, isant it a pain when they don’t work lol. But tinkering is a love of mine.

Vern W,
I am literally up the road from you, in Saline Mi. and looking at the map Harold B posted in post 3 there is another member in Ann Arbor Mi just a stones throw away.

Dracothered,
Thank you for the invite and I do have a lot to learn. Bicycles are not the same as motorcycles lol. Similar parts but not the same, I expect I will have some questions soon.

Once again thank you all for the friendly invite, Now to decide what i want to build Hmmmmmm....

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
Welcome! I'm in Dearborn, and happy to see more interest in our corner of MI. It was a cold ride this morning!
Although Saline isn't exactly next door, if you need to take a HT for a ride to help with your decision of what to purchase of kit/engine shoot me a pm, we can get together.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
(SNIP)

Once again thank you all for the friendly invite, Now to decide what i want to build Hmmmmmm....
There are many examples here. Harold B has a nice one and mine is in the beginning stages. Plus you have to decide if you want it street legal or semi legal (wink wink) or out right not legal. Also there is the old school builds such as the Board Track Racers. dance1

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
mine is currently a "legal" 66cc next is going to be a not so legal stretch cruser with a loncin or lifan i cant diside now that i found the lifans :)
i want a monster bike encase i start a race series here in new york :)

Artificer161

Sep 17, 2012
South Eastern Michigan
Turnofftheradio,
No Dearborn is a ways out there but glad to hear of more members in Michigan. Question what’s an HT? As for what engine I am still in the deciding stage. I kinda know what I want but still trying to make up my mind on how to get there.

Dracothered,
Ya I have been looking a lot of nice builds here. I am leaning towards something older looking. Always loved the look of the 1900’s bikes. As for legal still have to get up to speed about the laws here in Michigan, it looks like the laws vary from state to state.

JonnyR,
It seems the 66/80cc motors are very popular and one of them is sold here in Michigan. The SD Stinger is sold over in Kalamazoo. I’m looking at that but the only thing I wonder about is will it have power to go up a hill? Don’t want something I will have to pedal up every hill lol. Sounds like your racer will be fast, me I just want to cruse around. “loncin or lifan” is this another type of engine kit?

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
The sad fact is Michigan has some very gray laws about these motorized bikes. They really aren't mopeds and they for sure aren't motorcycles, but the area they somewhat fall into is the mopeds still. That is why I made the comment of the somewhat legal bike.

Moped's can only have 2HP 50cc or smaller engines that can do up to 35mph. Now here is the rub, I think it varies from community to community on how they crack down on these motorized bikes...