I'm Getting a Moped Instead

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
With this gearbox. the noise is not bad at all. I have mine packed...and i mean packed (7 ot 8 ounces)- with "Green Grease" a very sticky, stringy marine grade grease. Makes all the difference.

The plunger is a chrome tire pump with a plunger (hardware store knob on a brass tire stem with threads to fit the knob) attached to mimic the look of an early oil pump.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I WONDER IF RICLAND JUST THRU THAT MOPED THING OUT THERE TO GET OUR BLOOD FLOWING ?? :rolleyes: IT IS ONE AWSOME BUILD FOR SURE !! (^) A GREAT ASSORTMENT OF REPLIES. RICLAND GOT US GOING !rotfl MY BACK WENT OUT A MONTH AGO, BUT I CAN STILL DAYDREAM :bike2:

Last edited by a moderator:

corduroylion

Sep 25, 2008
norcal
anyone can go buy a moped. anyone can ride one too. but not everyone can build their own. its not ment for everyone. if you dont like getting dirty under the nails, smelling like gas and spending time in your garuage, then building one isnt for you. sushi isnt for me, neither is a lot of country music but you dont see me making a fuss about how just cuz i dont dig it no one else should...........

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Sorry to hear your back is out NT. Nothing like debilitating pain to pick ya up. Get well soon bud!

Thanks Hugh. Again, dang, thats pretty work.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
My appoligies to Toby Keith

I Love This Bar (Bike) lyrics

We got winners, we got losers
Chain smokers and boozers
And we got yuppies, we got bikers
We got thirsty hitchhikers
And the girls next door dress up like movie stars

Hmm, hmm, hmm I love this Bike

We got cowboys, we got truckers
Broken-hearted fools and suckers
And we got hustlers, we got fighters
Early birds and all-nighters
And the veterans talk about their battle scars

Hmm, hmm, hmm I love this bike

[Chorus:]
I love this bike
It's my kind of ride
Just riden' through the front door
Puts a big smile on my face
It ain't too far, come as you are

I've seen short skirts, we got high-techs
Blue-collar boys and rednecks
And we got lovers, lots of lookers
And I've even seen dancing girls and hookers
And we like to drink our beer from a mason jar

Yes I do

I like my truck (I like my truck)
I like my girlfriend (I like my girlfriend)
I like to take her out to dinner
I like a movie now and then

But I love this bike
It's my kind of ride
Just trollin' around the town
Puts a big smile on my face
No cover charge, come as you are

We got divorcees and a big bouncer man
An old jukebox and a real bad band
We got waitresses and we got barflies
A dumb-ass and a wise-guy
If you get too drunk just sleep out under the stars

Reason number 672 why

Play it on out boys
Beer-thirty's over
Got to take it on home

I just love it :ride2:

Last edited:

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
I really don't understand why anyone would mess around with one of these bike motors when they can spend a few more dollars and get a moped.

Bikes aren't built for these motors; mopeds are built from the ground up for their motors.

What's the point?

ric
Its quite simple - you can build/tinker and invent with these machines - with a moped you just sit on it and thats as far as you go.

Not to mention - its a pushbike - it doesnt need insurance, it doesnt need to be taxed - it does more to the gallon of petrol than any other form of transport and its no less reliable than a moped if the industrial engines are used. Additionally you can tune these machines much more to what you require than you can a moped...

I would love to see a spavined NSU Slowly or modern moped try and make it up a steep hill like porlock (1:4).. that with the right setups and tuning a cyclemotor can take with ease - and even if it cant you can pedal assist and pedal yourself home if you need to..

A moped gains in merely two things - instruments and bodywork... and all bodywork does is add more weight...

plus of course - I would never, ever be seen riding one lol

Jemma xx

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you can buy a moped for a "few dollars more" it will likely be one of the made-in-china-piece-of-junks that you can find a million of used.

The reason they are so available is simple- chinese QQ in a much more complicated/expensive/just as slow machine. People buy them, use them till they break, then park 'em in the garage.

At least with these motorized bikes, we love 'em so much that they get fixed and right back on the road....for pennies.

I have ridden the soul-less, slow, cheap mopeds, and they do have better brakes (sorta) and vibrate a wee bit less. You do however, have to have a thick skin and really dark glasses to ride one.

If you are gonna buy one, go to Moped Army - Swarm and Destroy

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
I like the "different and cool" factor of the motorbikes, anybody can buy a Moped, or scooter.. it takes a little ingenuity to actually "build" a motorbike..and like Finfan said, "it's a hobby"....

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
We build our bikes. We don't build mopeds. Therefore getting a moped is such a wimpy, gutless, and lazy, non creative choice.

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
I really don't understand why anyone would mess around with one of these bike motors when they can spend a few more dollars and get a moped.

Bikes aren't built for these motors; mopeds are built from the ground up for their motors.

What's the point?

ric
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! Some people really don't get it do they. :rolleyes:

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Moped army is a bunch of hipsters... They would shun a fat old lady like me.

Don't get me wrong some of my "best friends" are hipsters in skinny jeans and tats... But in the real world they probably wouldn't hang with me.

But I can bet you one thing- they would all lust after my motored bike.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
We build our bikes. We don't build mopeds. Therefore getting a moped is such a wimpy, gutless, and lazy, non creative choice.
I beg to differ.

You can build a fast moped to go 70mph-80mph. There are high-perf parts, disc brakes, water-cooled conversions. The biggest advantage with building a moped is the abundance of qualified mechanics and shops who can do all the mods and repairs or fix the problems that you as an amateur cannot.

The biggest disadvantage of motorizing a bicycle is that there is no support to assist me if I screw up or get in over my head. Aside from the priceless information and support on this forum, I am alone, outside of the box.:(

I'd love to build a monster moped, maybe a vintage Honda 50 with dual disc brakes and a quiet, powerful late-model fuel-injected 250cc Vespa engine stuffed under its panels. The only thing stopping me is I know some jerk will eventually steal it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I beg to differ.

You can build a fast moped to go 70mph-80mph. There are high-perf parts, disc brakes, water-cooled conversions. The biggest advantage with building a moped is the abundance of qualified mechanics and shops who can do all the mods and repairs or fix the problems that you as an amateur cannot.

Yes, we are a bunch of do-it-yourselfers...for the most part. We don't need go fasters and dangly things that shine installed by a mechanic. We learn to fix our own.

The biggest disadvantage of motorizing a bicycle is that there is no support to assist me if I screw up or get in over my head. Aside from the priceless information and support on this forum, I am alone, outside of the box.:(

Exactly why I ride 'em....I don't carry a cell phone "just in case" either, I like the adventure and "I'm on my own-ness".

I'd love to build a monster moped, maybe a vintage Honda 50 with dual disc brakes and a quiet, powerful late-model fuel-injected 250cc Vespa engine stuffed under its panels. The only thing stopping me is I know some jerk will eventually steal it
Building a monster moped would be like building a motorized bike, then you are back to square one if you are the OP.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Nah, I don't think so, Pablo. My point is that the OP can leave and buy a moped. He chooses not to motorfy any vehicle.

There is that great moped advantage of backup support from trained, qualified mechanics that the OP or I could use IFFFFF the need arises. I just wish I had that choice with motored bikes.

Bikeguy, I carry a cellphone just in case. Daughter arrived with the van when I got TWO flat tires three miles from home. Wife showed up when I bent my rim five miles from home. Ambulance arrived quickly when I called about the motorcycle accident I witnessed a few months ago.

Hey, I'm a senior citizen; I need all the help I can get.:bike2:

Last edited:

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
bike.jpg
I have a moped, and my daughter fell in love with it so I gave it to her, She liked the no tinkering and ease of riding. I have a custom motorcycle, I ride on long trips or work. My motorized bicycle has the room to tinker and use my creative side. It is nothing like anything else. If you don't get it, thats fine, it is not for everyone. I never recomend buying a motorcycle to anyone either because a car with air bags is much more safe way to get where you are going. I got to say one thing, riding my motorized bicycle has got me to met so many people, they want to know what is it and the neighborhood kids think it's cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.