Help Planing a build

GoldenMotor.com

lightbeast

Mar 12, 2010
IL
Hi, Sorry if this has been posted before (it didn't show up at least under search terms I tried). I am planing on building a budget Cranbrook Cruiser, and am wondering if people could recommend kits to me and estimate of build cost? I plan on getting a 49cc(laff) engine due to local laws I also have all tools I would need besides a set of cone wrenches.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Cost depends on what type mount you want for the bike, front, rear or frame mount. A cruiser can accept ant of those. 2 cycle or 4 cycle?

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Help a little more (2 cycle/4 cycle?), and how are your funds? What you consider a "budget cruiser" to you may mean something differently to me. Used bike and a kit starts out around $200.00 and up.
I built this for $300 2 years ago.

I made these modifications, although I made the parts, and didn't have to purchase them.
My mods

Last edited:

lightbeast

Mar 12, 2010
IL
Help a little more (2 cycle/4 cycle?), and how are your funds? What you consider a "budget cruiser" to you may mean something differently to me. Used bike and a kit starts out around $200.00 and up.
I built this for $300 2 years ago.

I made these modifications, although I made the parts, and didn't have to purchase them.
My mods
that's exactly what I want! is it 2 or 4 stroke? Also how has it held up?

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
shouldnt need cone wrenches. no cones to loosen on a cranbrook. I even replaced my bottom bracket without cone wrenches. just have to tighten up the sprocket cone really good with some channel lock pliers. my bottom bracket is over a year old with absolutely no problems whatever. you should consider sealing your gas tank unless you plan on purchasing a plastic tank. cheapest sealer is kreem, about $20 a pint and thats enough to seal two tanks if you follow the directions right. as long as you have sockets, adjustable wrenches, different types of pliers, philips and flathead screwdrivers, and a drill, you pretty much have all you need. loctite is good to have on hand as well. might want to add front brakes as well. the cranbrook has a hole in the front fork you can install brakes on.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
i built my cranny using the pirate cycles pk 80 silver, with better hardware installed,dont worry about cc's, they all look the same, no id's. it mounted up with no mods other then trimming the rear fender for chain clearance,also needed shorter exhaust,so i could keep front fender,many get rid of it but i liked it. depending on what you got to spend the sprocket adapter they also sell is well worth the money,bolts to hub not spokes. upgrade your plug to a ngk and silicone performance wire. i also bought light system from creative creations on ebay runs off motor,worth the money plenty bright no need for buying batteries all the time. anyway good luck,you should find answer for any prob you might run into here, peace.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
that's exactly what I want! is it 2 or 4 stroke? Also how has it held up?
That is the standard 2 cycle kit sold on Fleabay and by many vendors. Probably the most popular kits used by forum members. It is mounted by a front and rear engine mount. On a Cruiser, for proper instillation of the engine, a custom made front mount is needed.

Last edited: