Centrifugal Clutch Option?

GoldenMotor.com

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
there is what looks suspiciously like a drain plug in the cover that comes with the cent clutch. just high enough to keep oil in the bottom inch of the cover.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Foureasy , i,m lookin at that bike and its like WOW , nice setup .
but then you come out and say you can,t find a 24inch wheel with a disc hub ?

get the hub ya want and spoke it to a 24inch rim .

lookin at that killer engine setup , i can,t believe ya said something like ( i can,t )

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
most everything on the bike is labor, that said, im too cheap to spend 2 bills on a rear wheel. i know, i know, you say " but haven't you put 5 wheels on it at 30-50 dollars a pop?" yes. sometimes i am too stubborn. what i need is fairracings rear wheel, it even has the right tire.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
They use the same cover for both types of clutches and thats why it has a bolt.

You only use oil bath if there is no manual clutch("GGG-1 rope pull start only")
But theres still a manual clutch with the addon centrifugal clutch and with the dualstart dual clutch engine("GGG-2 dual start").

So they use diffrent clutches, one is a dry clutch and one is a wet clutch.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Why? When my 1st HT motor grenaded, I took the chain off the back cog and zip-tied it, then pedaled home.

@goat
i have been thinking about a little oil bath, the clutch i have on my bike has the highest stall speed that these auto clutches can handle. after repeated takeoffs the clutch gets pretty hot, so hot that i have to run it without the cover on. i would even like a higher stall, but other than the heat, a higher stall would probably rip the spokes right off the wheel. i have yet to find a 24" rear wheel with disk mounting for the sprocket.

@gear nut
you are right about the stock clutch, too much grease makes it slip. the first time i hit the power band on this bike with the gilardoni cylinder, it slipped the brand new, perfectly adjusted, and completely grease free clutch all the way to the redline. that clutch stood absolutely no chance. i had no issues with the alukit cylinder and the stock clutch, but it only made 5.3 hp. with only my testing to go by, i would say that 5.5hp is probably the limit of the stock guy. so, my point is that i welded the flywheel to the ring gear on the stock clutch and eliminated the lever. which is why i can only roll the bike when its running. there is no pedaling on my bike anymore, the last time it ate a piston i had to ditch it in some bushes and walk home.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
That is hard to find (24" ATB rim with disc brake hub).

Why not get a standard freewheel hub 36hole rim complete wheel and one of the clamshell cog adapters.

Foureasy , i,m lookin at that bike and its like WOW , nice setup .
but then you come out and say you can,t find a 24inch wheel with a disc hub ?

get the hub ya want and spoke it to a 24inch rim .

lookin at that killer engine setup , i can,t believe ya said something like ( i can,t )

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Oh wow! Thanks! I will pass that on. That is really deluxe. I suppose someone will have to put the disc on "the wrong side", but that is a nice hub.

This a old thread. Foureasy was speaking of this hub. This ia what Fair was using.. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=10509 Spoke it up right and it will last. I have two of these and they are sweet for a high powered bike!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
For folks wanting powerful stopping power how is it you think its on the wrong side? Mine has worked flawlessly.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You have to weld your own tab anytime you want more superior stopping power like this disk brake set up. The thing is we are talking about running the bike single speed right. Its not hard to do.

No it is not a kit like a bolt on China or such. Got to remember these bikes were not meant for a motor to begin with. What do you expect? lol. Not gonna find them at wallies.

Thing is you put the caliper on the disk brake put a heavy duty rubber band on the hand pull part at the bars. Do this when it is perfectly line up. Next tack weld the caliper mounting bracket onto the bike. Do it right and it will be lined up perfect as it will not go anywhere when you tack it in. Then take the caliper out of the way and finish welding it right.

From what I have read in the bike frame building forums. You want the caliper mount on the upper rear trailing and have the g forces pushing into the steel. Not pulling.

Cheap department store bikes? I Just don't have a lot of faith in them me personally. Yet a fellow that knows what he has and uses a good steel frame , this is a walk in the park. Very easy! I have done it and would not hesitate to do it again.

I go with disk brakes because they have never disappointed me. Guess we are all creatures of habit. Shrug

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
A lot of mountain bikes and now even road bikes (flat bar or specialty) come with disc brakes, from the factory. I even have an Iron Horse entry level bike that has disc tabs on the frame, though it came with v-brakes.

I have not seen any factory bikes that had the disc tab on the right side. That is why I asked if you had to weld one (or if you might have used some after-market kit/part, or a custom/specialty frame).

If you are using the disc hub to hold a motor cog, I am assuming (but could be wrong) that you are running the motor cog on the left side, and the disc brake rotor on the right.

For folks wanting powerful stopping power how is it you think its on the wrong side? Mine has worked flawlessly.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
It would be a good idea to brace the chain stay to the seat stay when adding a bracket, maybe by a gusset or a large plate including the brake tab. I saw a steel townie bike that was folded up after mounting a drum brake in it, and attaching the torque arm to the seat stay.