Schwinn Delmar First Build

GoldenMotor.com

Nitbbe

Feb 17, 2012
Bangor, PA
Hey everyone,

Just Got done with my first bike build. Was a fun change from the custom restoration I was doing on my atc 250sx(militarized). Anyway, So far I have the bullet light, saddle bag, 66cc flying horse and my springer forks and hand brakes will be here tomorrow. I had to replace the rear wheel and get a #41 chain because my chain tensioner slipped and shot through my wheel which was scary ****. Resolved that issue by welding the tensioner in place. I have a slight side to side wobble on the rear sprocket that Ive spent days trying to fix for days but only got it to wobble less. Also picked up the CNS carb but need a new intake manifold because my current one is too small in diameter. One concern I have is how slow the gas comes out of the tank. I'll be posting pictures of it tomorrow and the results of my first real ride. brnot

Kevin

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Congratulations, Nitbbe! We'll be looking forward to the pics.
If you still have a coaster brake on the rear, I highly recommend using a SportscarPat or MM adapter with their proprietary sprocket.
You will never have to deal with sprocket hop or wobble ever again.

Nitbbe

Feb 17, 2012
Bangor, PA
I plan on it next time I have the extra cash for it. Thats the problem with having to many hobbies, I have the money for the adaptor and end up in the hobby store buying new planes or atc parts :p I have my coaster brake arm says HISTOP on it still need to measure it with my calipers to make sure the MM adaptor will fit. Would you happen to know if HISTOP is the same as High Stop? I'm not to sure if its the same or just a misleading brand name haha.

Kevin

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
Congrats on your build! Cant wait to see pics of it and welcome to the forum. Your "HISTOP" coaster brake hub is the "High Stop"....lol...its a knock off of a Shimano CB-110 hub and all the people who make the adapters centered their production around those hubs. So dont worry it they will fit and I absolutely endorse them. I put one onto my nike and was able to completely get rid of the chain tensioner......I will never go without one ever again.

Nitbbe

Feb 17, 2012
Bangor, PA
I kinda figured it was the same thing. I went for my first real ride today and had a blast. I'm gonna remove the engine tomorrow and grind the rear mount to seat properly on my seat post (terrible vibration and noise when i go over 25). Unfortunatly my springer forks and hand brakes didn't come today so looks like I have to wait until monday. Does anyone know which is the proper intake to order for use with the CNS carb available on bikeberry? I hate ordering things only to have them not work, lol. I was thinking about a lighting system including blinkers today and came to the conclusion that I can use an ATV battery in my saddlebag and convert my bullet light to a 12v and get a 3-way toggle switch for the lights(off, low beam, high beam and another switch for the blinkers with a relay. I found out my buddies dad has a 1941 whizzer on a schwinn frame in his basement so I'm gonna check that out when I have the chance to mimic the style the best I can. Hoping to get these pictures uploaded tonight.

Kevin

Nitbbe

Feb 17, 2012
Bangor, PA
Well, still waiting to get some pictures but I have a question. Now, I live in the middle of nowhere and do not have to worry about how loud my exhaust is which brings me to my question. Is there a way to make a long pipe exhaust which would be louder and throatier. Also, I was riding down to the gas station or a pack of smokes today and two harleys were in the other lane and one gave me a thumbs up, the other the rock on hand sign. I LITERALLY screamed YES!!! and returned the fist pump. dance1

Kevin

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A long pipe will give you more low RPM torque.
All you need to do is use a 3/4" diameter head pipe and attach that to a 1 1/2 or 2" diameter hollow (no baffle) "muffler" pipe.
The longer the psudo "muffler" is the throatier the sound will be. Think of how a trombone works. The farther/ longer the slide tube is out, the lower the tone is.

Do a search on exhaust here on this site. Lots of folks find that using EMT conduit for custom exhausts is the easiest way, and if you put a little elbow grease into it, it will polish up nearly as bright as chrome.

Just be very cautious when welding EMT as it is galvanized (zinc plated) to fight off rust and it will give off nasty fumes that you definitely do not want to breath in. Can make you sick and cause health problems in the future. I always weld on it outdoors and if there is no breeze to blow the fumes away from me, I use a fan.

Nitbbe

Feb 17, 2012
Bangor, PA
Should I use a baffle or end cap because I know these little two strokes love their back pressure and would hate to burn up a new motor.

Kevin

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
An end cap would mess up the sound some, but not totally.
You could also pinch the end of the 3/4 tubing where it enters into the larger tubing. Not too much though, the little beast still needs to breath well.

A simple baffle would also work too.
I plan on making my own exhaust for my HS engine, It will be 7/8 tubing (3/4 id) for the header going into a lawnmower muffler. I will weld some tubing, just barely large enough to allow the whole body of the muffler to slip inside of it, onto the muffler and that will act as a low tone resonator to give it a deeper sound.

Nitbbe

Feb 17, 2012
Bangor, PA
Well, if I can go without the end cap or baffle I'll do just that. Maybe I'll make a whizzer style echo pipe and do some nickel plating or high heat black paint. Hopefully my springer forks from pistonbikes will be here tomorrow. I keep worrying that they won't fit the delmar but at the same time I'm sure that they will. Once everything is on I will upload these pics. Rides great so far and nothing to complain about. My only problem has been the chain popping off when I push the thing backwards but it only happened once. Also gonna upload a video to show you all how it handles these hill here (speedometer on so you an see the speeds)

Kevin

Nitbbe

Feb 17, 2012
Bangor, PA
Well, I went through **** and back installing my springer fork. It took my two hours to get the spring on after mounting everything than I realized an easy way to do it. Just got to figure out how to get this bullet light on with these springer forks now...Also is store for tomorrow is putting on the CNS carb, anyone have any advice on tuning it? I'm kind of afraid of it after reading some posts on here about but it really adds to the overall appearance of the bike.

Kevin

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
There really is nothing to be afraid of when tuning a CNS. Just write down notes of each change you do to it and only do one change at a time. If the change makes things worse, unchange it back. If you do more than one change at a time and it runs worse, you are left guessing at which one went wrong. The other one(s) may have actually helped but was overcome by the one that went bad. That is scarey, chasing your own tail while tuning a carb.
I gave you a link full of detailed info on CNS's, and there are other threads as well with good info too. Do a search or 2 and ask for help if things get bizarre.
You can do it, just a little patience is necessary.

Nitbbe

Feb 17, 2012
Bangor, PA
Well, I completely forgot that I need a bigger intake for the CNS. New problems are the motor cutting in and out when I get going around 20. I'm gonna replace the plug wire tomorrow. I already rewired the mag and done away with the crappy butt connectors. I also need to get some weather stripping for under my chain guards and fenders to eliminate that horrible buzzing sound from the vibrations. I installed the springer fork and man is it awesome.

Kevin