Is $300 too much for a motorized bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Re: Is $300 too much for a MB?

Hambro,
Yes 170 for three hrs. labor is reasnoable. Of course 170 dollars was profit, not labor. part of that money was the value of the bike. Would you have been glad to sell the bike only $20 that you paid for it?
Of course it took 0 time to find this bargin and bring it home and 0 time to run out and find the kickstand and another 0 time to sell it and another 0 time to order the kit another 0 time unpacking and checking things out ect.
The upside is there was enough PROFIT to buy another Kit

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA

Hambro,
One look at your build and I know that your labor is worth much more than your asking!

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama

I feel the same way, No one in this area builds these bikes and these people have never seen them before so they have no idea. I'm just trying to get a few of my bikes on the road and slowly build a client base for now thats why I didn't put alot of money into the bikes. I don't really like to build used bikes and am going to buy only new bikes for my builds from now on and starting price will be $600 dollars. They can take it or leave it I'll let them sit in my garage and rot before I sell them for less from this day forward. And thanks Russell, I take a lot of pride in my builds even though I'm not the most experienced builder in the world. I learn more on every build I do and can't wait to tackle more complicated builds in the future thats why i'm so anxious to sell them. Right now I'm the only person in this town who builds them.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois

I'm in the same predicament Hambro.I sold a nice 26" Huffy with a 66cc kit for $130 to some guy to put food on my table and of course for a little money in my pocket.The bike had absolutely no scratches,in great shape expect the rear wheel needing trued up..Let alone the time put into the build.Never again will I sell that cheap LOL

I live in a well populated city (118,000+) and there's only two maybe three people with MB's.I'd love to start building/selling but heck who would buy a MB when their unheard of? I've had more than 50 people ask and take my # to "hook them up" with a MB,never got a call either:confused:

Hambro,Those are some nice builds you got there man.Defiantly up those prices much as you can!

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock

I've been building these bikes for over a year now and I love building them. I can't afford to keep filling my garage up with bikes that I build so that means I can't keep them all no matter how much I love them. My wife says I can't build anymore until I sell the ones I have so I put them on the market. Here's where the $300 comes in: Today I loaded three bikes into the back of a pickup truck and took them up to the busiest grocery store parking lot in my area. I gave out a hundred cards with my phone number on it and spoke with at least 150 people who were interested in the bikes. Of course everyone wanted to know how much I wanted for the bikes and my cheapest one is for sale for $300 dollars. It's a Murray Westport cruiser that I totally rebuilt from the ground up. I have 250 bucks in the bike including the engine but when I tell people I want $300 for it they look at me like I've lost my mind. What do these people expect for this kind of money? You can't build a Huffy cranbrook with a new 66cc engine on it for much less than 200 bucks and thats buying the bottom shelf ebay engine. These people think that because I built these bikes in my garage that they deserve to buy them at garage sell prices I guess. Sorry folks I guess I'm just venting a litttle but it really pisses me off. :)
Sell them for more- I agree. Cuz when you sell one to some Goofball, that person is gonna call you couple times a week for months with dumb questions! How much is that worth?:-||

Sep 4, 2009
Texas

The same people that whine about the very fair price of $300 most likely squeeze their employees paychecks whine about immigrant workers stealin jobs they would never stoop so low as to do and probably wipe their arse backwards too. I would never insult anyone even if their price was outrageous I just walk on by till I find what I believe is a fair price. $300 is a very fair price for any MB. It takes at least 100 miles of not so fun riding to tweak these beasts and break in the engine...make sure they are safely aligned with the rear sprocket...adjust the carb and clutch and whatever else squirrely issue you run into till you finally get a reliable product and that's only if you are a decent mechanic!

I might suggest you put out your best bike along side the cheapest one with about $1000 price tag on it cause then they can compare and feel they are getting a bargain...also put a sign on the cheapest one of $400 OBO (or best offer) then let em bring you down on your real price of $300...throw in some carp like I'll tell ya what I'll let ya have that one for $300 cash right now just because I am short of cash....hope you will tell your friends...just make up any plausable good excuse that makes em feel like they are getting the better of you. Once they ride that china girl they'll know you gave em a great deal.

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama

My biggest problem with selling the bikes here is that they are not legal and I live in the middle of a bunch of broke ass rednecks who drink all their money up.
I hope none of your hopeful clients visit this forum!

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama

Even if they did visit, most of these people can't read, lol. I appreciate the boost of confidence guys. I build the bikes because I love building them not for the money but I certainly can't give them away and I can't keep collecting them either. Maybe when the weather warms up business will pick up some. Thanks again for all of your input everyone at least I don't feel like I'm doing something wrong now.