new member, new build

GoldenMotor.com

huntington

Jan 24, 2010
So Cali
(Links removed)

So I am in the planing stage of my build. I have somewhat of a budget, I would like to keep this build around $1,000 and have a well built, good performing, and safe HT MB. I figured I would list my parts, maybe receive some input from you good folks, and suggestions of anything overlooked.

Frame: The Gurbee GT2 Bicycle frame USABikes

With HD wheels and built in tank, along with a steal frame and duel pull break leaver. I think it's a good base for a quality MB. A lil expensive but with $100 off, its a bearable cost. The tank sticker has to go, should be easy enough with a blow dryer and goo-be-gone. I have plains to paint some decals but till I can find an airbrusher and some more money to wast a few MotoredBikes.com stickers will fit nicely.

Engine Kit: Gurbee Skyhawk GT5 66cc Angle Fire Slant Head Motor

Kings sells the kit for $150. I hear good things about the slant heads. I am considering the billet head from RSE. I guess if I go that rout I dont need the slant head. $100 is hard to justify for a head, but if there is a performance incress over the slant, it might be worth it to me. Any opinions for one vs the other? **I have decided to to hold off on the RSE head, I hear its really only a diff of 1.5 from the slant head**

Expansion Chamber: Sickbikes

It seems like a no-brainier, sick bike parts makes a great tuned pipe that looks pretty good. I just need to decide between black or chrome.

CNS Carburetor

Spookytooth has it for $50 and seems like it will be far better then the stock carb. I would like to use a boost bottle but I no longer have use of a machine shop. So drilling and tapping the inlet might be tough, unless the boost bottle supplied inlet would work for the CNS. Can anyone confirm?

HD Airfilterhttp:Sickbikes
I'm looking for the best airfilter I can get, max flow and good looks. I also dont want to spend a lot of time trying to fit K&N. Are there any better air filters out there that are a direct replacement?

NGK BP5HS Spark-plug and HP wires/boots

Im in So Cali, seems like this plug is well suited for our temps.

I estimate about $750 for everything listed above, not including shipping. I have another $300 or so to play with. A lighting system is not going to be factored in this build, saving that for another time. I have some high grade 6mm SS all thread and plenty of SS nuts and bolts. A shifter kit, although very cool, is not in the cards for this build. Maybe next time.

So I need a few things, some better fuel line. What is the ID/OD of the stock cheap fuel line?

I hear there is a better, slim head gasket.. Does that increase performance?

I suppose I can upgrade my drive chain. I have a 36T sprocket and 2 46T sprockets.

Ill need another fuel filter.. dont remember what I used last time, I think a VW filter.

Also, has anyone used the Brake/clutch lever? is it any good? The bike has three brakes and one duel pull lever, need to clean up the left side controls with the brake/clutch or by removing 1 brake.

So thats my build list.. please comment or suggest an alternative for anything I have mentioned.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello huntington, Welcome to the forum glad you joined us.

Apologize about that, you will need to make a few post before you can post any links.

We would love to hear about your build.....

huntington

Jan 24, 2010
So Cali
Well, my bad. I guess I should re-introduce myself. Im an EX Navy FC, CIWS Weapon system. Worked as an industrial maint craftsmen and engineering aid at Behr paint and B.Braun Medical. Im taking advantage of the GI Bill and pursuing an Engineering degree. Working on transferring to Cali Poly. I have built a few MB and an active member of Motoredbikes (the other MB forum)

Im building a new MB, should be ordering parts next week sometime, and I have put together a parts list for review, enjoyment, and criticism.

I'm using the bike to commute from home and school. Only about 5miles, need to make this thing safe, fast, and fun.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
sounds like you've got it pretty well planned out, but here's some advice.

forget about using stainless steel hardware. the cheap alloy used in these motors will cause nothing but problems. SS is notorious for seizing in aluminum, and they're brittle. you can buy grade 8 allen head socket cap bolts to replace every bolt for about 5 bucks at MacFadden Dale (mcfadden dale hardware - Google Maps).

i use a NGK B7HS plug. it's got a colder heat range, and with the mods you plan on, it might need it. a B6HS should work, too. the B5 might run too hot around here. i use a copper core, 7mm plug wire. i don't think any kind of HP plug wire really matters. some say the shielded type don't work, other's swear by it, but no one's actually come up with proof of any horsepower improvement, so it's probably just a waste of money. but definitely get something other than stock. those things are junk.

as for the boost bottle, they're pretty much just a gimmick. there's a thread around here somewhere where someone tested it out, and it's useless. a few people swear by them, but the general consensus, is, don't bother. same goes with NOS.

i use Goodyear 5/16" fuel line, available at any auto parts store.

a #41 chain is a good upgrade. the kit chains stretch and break for no reason, and they're sloppy. i bought mine at Fastenal for 17 bucks for 10'.

i just got some annodized fuel filters off the 'bay for cheap (search ebay ALUM FUEL FILTER HONDA XR50 CRF50 XR CRF 50 70 PIT BIKE) they've got a replaceable paper element and come in a bunch of colors, and it took 2 days to get to my house.

the only other advice i have for you, is remember what site you're on when talking about putting stickers on your tank...;)

Last edited:

huntington

Jan 24, 2010
So Cali
a copy paste from the other site, they removed my post because or links.. I wasn't paying much attention to the sticker ref.

I like the boost bottle, IMO they work, that is, for what they are intended for. You are not going to get great HP gain from one but you also wont spit as much gas out the exhaust. i have used them before and they work okay..

Ill have to check out the fuel filter, sounds cool..

side note.. I want to HS in Costa Mesa.. my fav lil town.