32 spoke wheel. What are my options?

GoldenMotor.com

Torgo

Aug 30, 2009
Denver, CO USA
Hi everybody. I just got a used mountain bike for my new motorized bike project. Unfortunately, the wheels are 32 spoke. Can I somehow still use the 9 hole sprocket that comes with the Chinese kits? Or, is there a place to get an 8 hole sprocket? Does anyone else out there have a 9 hole sprocket successfully running on a 32 spoke rear wheel? I do not have my kit in hand yet, so I am trying to figure out this issue before it arrives so I can get it up and running as soon as possible. Thanks a lot, and this is a great forum.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Contact livefastmotors.com and see if they have any 5 hole sprockets left....should be dirt cheap.

Let me know if you find one, I may have one here, but I'll have to dig.

Torgo

Aug 30, 2009
Denver, CO USA
Hi, I actually didn't find any 5 hole sprockets on livefastmotors.com. If I did find a 5 hole sprocket, would the hardware that comes with the kit still work?

Thanks

neicull

Sep 1, 2009
Norfolk, VA
You can contact Rebel Gears to make you a 8 hole one. I had them make me two (40 tooth). I have an extra if you would like to buy it off me. I had to make my own rubber inserts to compress around the spokes. You can use pipe flange gaskets. I got them from Fastenal. But PM me if your interested it comes with backing plates. I'll even make you the rubber gaskets if you want.