Disc hub drive sprocket and disc setups

GoldenMotor.com

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
Hello everyone. I just purchased a set of single speed (freewheel type on sram, shimano freehub) fatbike wheels that are disc brake ready. I want to purchase a kit to try and run both the brake rotor and engine drive sprocket on the same (left) side. Anybody have any input? Tips?

My wheels rim width will be 100mm wide. Im running a smaller tire so 100 mm is the clearance. Im kind of wondering if any of you succeeded in this (the sprocket disc part. Im running a 44 tooth rear drive sprocket and wonder how whoever is doing this is fitting their caliper between the sprocket and rotor. Do calipers fit in between sometimes without buying a much larger rotor? Or do all need be small drive sprockets with large rotor to solve that problem?

Is it better to just do the jackshaft brake mid bike and forget the rear brake? ( I have a Gasbike jackshaft billet plate) so thats a great option too. Ive seen that mod and wonder how it stops? Is it good? I will have a really nice big rotor on the front so Im not too worried about it being on the rear. As long as I can stop nicely. Im only running a 79cc Harbor freight predator

Which disc/sprockets kits are the best? I already know I have to buy a new sprocket

So far these the vendors I found:
*Kings sales and service
*Jakes motorbikes
*Bicycle designer
*Miscelaneous items on ebay. (somebody is selling 1 piece recessed sprockets that mount to thehub) I think their from europe. Dont know if a disc rotor will be turn key with this one

Just looking for some tips and feedback so I can sort these thoughts all out. Is it more reliable to just do the jackshaft brake mod and leave the back hub strictly for the drive sprocket? Some feedback from those people who have that direct bolt on sprocket to 6 hole hub is appreciated. How are all your direct 6 hole sprocket to hub direct mounts holding up?

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
There is always the top hat adapter to put your disc near the sprocket; however as its a rear brake I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Easiest setup is to use a moped rear drum hub and lace it into your fat rim. These hubs have sprocket, brake, and right side freewheel threads all in one package. Spacing is usually 130mm so you'll need to add spacers.

Front brake? Run the best and biggest hydraulic disc system you can afford (preferably 4-piston caliper). I run a Hayes stroker dual piston 200mm rotor setup. My pads last around 1500 miles. I'm looking around at 4-piston caliper systems already. I was told by the lbs that the stroker is a kind of low end setup but it works fine, have not felt very much heat fading yet though.