Push Trailer

GoldenMotor.com

njmalibu313

Apr 18, 2009
New Jersey, USA
Alright, I was inspired looking on the web, wanting to commute to work for cheap, one thing led to another, and I found out about push trailers. I have been inspired by different ideas, and specifically ZSANERIDER's push trailers.
I went out and bought the 2.5HP Harbor freight 4 stroke, and just got done buying all the parts I will need (clutch, hub,rim/tire,chain,jackshaft and odds and ends).
I start building the trailer frame tomorrow, and will be using angle, and square tubing.
I'm using a 4 inch rim, aprox 11" tire, and 48T sprocket. I'm not sure how the fuzz is going to be here in nj, but I dont plan on driving like a shmuck, and will keep speeds under 40MPH.
My commute to work is 22 miles each way, so it's going to be pretty interesting.
Pics to come!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
You've got a good start, njmalibu.

What engine sprocket are you choosing and what's your final gear ratio gonna be?

What kind of brakes do you have? You'll be needing EXCELLENT stopping power with that push trailer.

My girlie cruiser "The Dragon Lady" has awesome power, so I redid the brakes. Up front are front vee brakes. In the rear are the coaster brake and a side-pull caliper brakes. It's enough for continuous stops above 35mph.

I also have a 6hp push trailer project I'm working on..trlrl.

buzzardbait

Mar 31, 2009
Near Phila. PA.
I too, am interested in this build. Please take lots of pics.

There's a set of plans in an old Popular Mechanics magazine somewhere, (1940's I think), for a motorized trailer. I haven't seen it since I was a kid though. That was 40 some years ago. I've been searching googlebooks but, haven't found it yet.

What is your overall drive ratio going to be?

buzzardbait

njmalibu313

Apr 18, 2009
New Jersey, USA
Thanks guys! I have seen Zsane's posts, actually were I got the idea for the 2.5 HF engine. It just so happened to be on sale on the flyer I get in the mail, and I printed out a 20% off coupon made it a sweet deal.
Getting ready to start the frame here this morning, got it all planned out.
This may sound crazy, but i had actually planned on this being a stick/tig welder / bike trailer hybrid. I had recently bought a 10HP B&S motor, and Ford 3g alternator to make a stick/tig rig, and was going to make it into a push trailer as well. changed my plans because I dont like the noise the 10hp makes. I'm trying to keep it super quiet, and will be experimenting with different homemade mufflers.

The final drive ratio will be 4.8 to 1. I'm using a 12" tire, 10 tooth clutch sprocket, and 48 tooth axle sprocket to start with, approx 3800 RPM comes out to about 28-30 MPH.
Should have decent low and mid range, and plan on pedaling a lot. I can always change sprockets in the future for more speed.
Also, I found that a standard sized milk crate fits perfectly over the motor, so I'm using one along with sheet steel to hide the engine. If I can get this thing as quiet as I would like, hidden, and pedal, you'll never know what I'm up to!
I'll post pics along the way!

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I just bought one of those covered trailers you haul kids in at a garage sale for $25. If your drive wheel was in the center of the two tires on the trailer it would hide that engine well and would look like you are pulling, not "pushing". The only thing I have not figured out is if the two wheels should be modified with springs so that they are "floating" and on the ground but really it's the drive wheel that is holding the trailer up. The only reason for this mod may be to help on corners but I'm not really sure if that is even needed.

njmalibu313

Apr 18, 2009
New Jersey, USA
toytime, that sounds like a neat idea. you may even just be able to modify it to a single wheel. I havent tried a 2 wheel trailer, but i wouldnt think it would handle turns as well as a single wheel. The floating idea would work well though. almost like an independent suspension. In fact, I may have an idea if you are interested. It may be the same thing you are thinking of.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I can see that you understand the build. The reason I would leave the wheels on is so that it looks original. Just some guy pulling a trailer, I'm sure you understand.....Let's hear your ideas...I have a Honda 4 stroke engine, a "lil indian" mini bike for parts, the trailer, a new clutch and chain and a welder.

njmalibu313

Apr 18, 2009
New Jersey, USA
Toytime, I'm going to e-mail you a sketch of what I was thinking.
Basically it will make the original tires float like you are talking about. Has anyone built anything similar to this yet, utilizing a kid trailer? The ultimate disguise!

njmalibu313

Apr 18, 2009
New Jersey, USA
ok e-mail sent.
Ive got my main frame of the trailer complete. I decided to put a long plastic milk crate in the front of the trailer to hold stuff in. The whole trailer is approx 4 foot long and 14" wide. I'm estimating it to weight around 40-50 lbs empty when finished

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Got the mail, thanks.
The one I have looks like this pic and yes, the wheels spin on solid axles that are welded to each side.
I have not really looked at it much but I will give it some thought. Lets see some picks, if you can. I cut the cord to my camera when I got up from my easy boy chair and jammed the wire in the metal as I got off the chair so I can't download any pics.laff

Attachments

njmalibu313

Apr 18, 2009
New Jersey, USA
OK, this week i'll be taking some pics. I'll do a step by step so others can build a similar trailer if they want. I should be getting all the parts by the end of next week, and hope to complete it next weekend if time allows. I'll also include a parts list, if others are interested.
Ive got about 300 in it including the engine. If I would have shopped around on ebay, and accumulated parts, probably much cheaper. These are all brand new parts.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Was Thinking About Motorizing On Of Those Enclosed Kiddy Trailers. To Have A Differential So Both Wheels Could Drive But Also Ratchet. My Thought Was To Use Two Coaster Brake Wheels With A Jackshaft Behind The Wheels or in front of them. It Would Be Cheap To Build And Free Wheel When You Kill It (or Runs Out Of Fuel!! Ha Ha). Staton Sells All Kinds Of Adapters For The Jackshaft Etc. I Will Enclose Pics Of The Simplist Pusher Yet= By Motormaker (a Member). He Has Posted A Complete Build. I Think He Is A Design Engineer. The last pic is znsane`s Ron

Attachments

Last edited:

njmalibu313

Apr 18, 2009
New Jersey, USA
Neattime, another great idea! Freewheeling would be a great option. Much more convenient than having to unhook the chain. I bought a kill switch for this setup so I can kill it if I see too many police, but i hadnt thought about how easy the tire would spin with the clutch, and motor shut off.
Sorry i have not updated this thread. Still not shipped yet, so i have e-mailed the company today. I did get a 14 tooth clutch sprocket for the 48T chain, which should give a top speed of around 36MPH. I'll use this one for long trips and no cargo, and the 10 tooth for around town, and cargo.
Man, I just wish there were more people riding these things around. I still have yet to even see any e-bikers around the way, which may be a future build.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Njmalibu, Hi And Welcome, This Is A Great Place And People. Did You See My Cvt Belt Drive Build In Diy Catagory? It Works Just Great, The Freewheel Sprocket On The Rear Wheel Is Soooo Nice. I Would Like To Have A Free Wheel On All My Builds. I Bought A Couple Pull Starts For Some Of My Ht Kits So I Can Use A Freewheel. If You Use A Sbp Shift Kit You Automatically Have A Freewheel. Good Luck With Your Build. Ron

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Just to get into the act. I made two e.push trailers. Mine are one wheel models. One has a 350 watt motor with a 80 tooth sprocket. The other has a 350watt motor with a 55 tooth sprocket. They both have 12 1/2 inch wheels. Not as fast as yours but not bad for a small e motor.