$20 Wheel master rims.

GoldenMotor.com

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
I got these rims from amazon and they are great. It was somewhere around 20 for the rear and 18 for the front.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5833/sdc10033.jpg

The spokes are 12 guage spokes. Standard spokes are .85 in. These are a thick .1 in. as you can see.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/4475/sdc10037.jpg

The rims are 1.425 inches wide which is almost 50% wider than my old mountain bike rims at 1.015.
The same tires still fit though which is great. The wheels did come a little scratched but for 20 bucks i was very impressed with the quality.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Looks like a good deal but I have to ask. Will your chain get by the rim oK?
I'm asking because I put on some wide knobby tires once and my chain rubbed the sidewall away in a few weeks.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
The tires are now the same width as the rim. It shouldn't rub. I have always been a knobby tired kinda guy but i am going with cruisers because i heard the ride was alot smoother. I will post if i have any issues with the chain clearence.. Just eyeing it, it looks fine. The hub width is the same and the tires stick out the same amount..

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I agree about the knobby tires. I guess with the higher speed you can feel each knob as it hits the pavement creating a huge vibration under your bum and on the handlebars.
Smoother tires are the way to go, I think.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Ha kinda funny i went with the complete different approach and didn't even think about the tires. I got foam grips and am making some handlebars that'l help with the vibration, even some rubber pieces to use in the mount that i'm a little hesitant to use. Only thing i'm worried about with the smoother tires is slipping on the sanded roads this spring.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ha kinda funny i went with the complete different approach and didn't even think about the tires. I got foam grips and am making some handlebars that'l help with the vibration, even some rubber pieces to use in the mount that i'm a little hesitant to use. Only thing i'm worried about with the smoother tires is slipping on the sanded roads this spring.
Nick,
The sand on the roads is a hazard no matter the tire tread. Try to avoid it when turning or stopping and careful using your front brakes on sandy streets. Enjoy.
Tom

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
I rarely use the front breaks because the clutch is in the way anyhow. I am pretty hesitant into the turns, just when a car insists that he must stay behind me and blow the horn as i'm on the sidewalk is when i get a little squirley. Thanks for clearing up that the tire tread wont effect it.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
consider using road tires in stead of cruiser tires which are actually meant for sand use. Loose particles in the road are a hazard for any rider including motorcycles. a wider wheel under the back even though the tire isn't any bigger it gives a bigger profile where the rubber meets the road and thats the most important thing. I have ridden road tires in the rain and they were just as good as the sand tires.