seized engine?

GoldenMotor.com

Graham

Jan 19, 2009
boston, ma
Im following the directions for installing the motor out of the box. It comes to the point where it says I should be able to move the small sprocket within the engine with my fingers. I tried to do this but it wont budge. any suggestions?

Clotho

May 25, 2008
The instructions always say that you should be able to turn the small sprocket on the motor by hand with the clutch in. I have yet to see one that this is possible on. Feeding the chain around the sprocket can be tricky as it often gets stuck out of position half way around. All I can suggest is to make sure the clutch is engaged all the way and use a screwdriver to push on the gear with the chain that you are trying to feed around it. if it gets stuck back it up and try again. Also look from below as the chain comes over the top and see if you can use a small screwdriver to keep it from getting hung up. At least this is how I do it.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Graham,

I always remove the sprocket cover, (clutch actuator), and the magneto cover. This is the cover to the left of the clutch actuator. The benefit is two-fold.

1) You will be able to see what's going on!

2) It's easier to get a wrench on the nut at the end of the crankshaft, (center of magneto)...and you're now turning the sprocket at a 4.1:1 ratio, (relative to wrench turns), which makes it a lot easier to control the feed of the chain; the sprocket will turn slowly.

I leave these two covers off until final assembly just in-case the chain has to be removed and re-installed.

When replacing the clutch actuator, check for fit. On some of these engines the chain rubs the forward inside edge of the actuator housing. Forward, meaning the surface nearest the front wheel. If it is difficult to re-install the housing screws, file the forward inside edge at an angle to make a chamfer for chain clearance.

Jim

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Good tips Jim.

Also, while you have those covers off, shoot some brake cleaner in there, you'd be surprised at how much metal shavings come out of thos two areas (really bad for the mag to have metal flying around in there).

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I do it the same way Jim suggests. it's nice to be able to just turn a wrench and have the sprocket move. Make sure the spark plug is removed for easier turning.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
all are good ideas, but I'm wondering if you guys have ever used the sparkplug wrench that comes with these engines the plug socket will fit on the nut that holds the small sprocket on I remove the sparkplug put the chain on the top of the sprocket put on that finely made china plug wrench on the sprocket nut and crank on the chain on. Tada its on with no sweat or broken fingernails.
Norman

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Oh boy! for the plug wrench its one thing that is almost chrome. the ones I have with these kits has a socket on each end of the wrench one end is for the sparkplug the other is for the center bolt in the gear puller that comes with some of these kit engines. Some kits do not have the gear puller or the plug wrench. Crap some don't come with all the parts needed and then some come with the parts damaged and well rusted for the early junkyard look we are all seeking for the classic look.
I sometimes wish I had the motivation to make molds and cast them myself but I'm lazy. So someone wanting to go broke making engines here is your chance.
Norman