Help - Help Me Get Motorized

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Well I suppose it looks like I'm wrong, but of the very few times I have ever had to cancel a transaction, the seller willingly cancelled the transaction without any fuss or negative feedback. And the last time I did that, I was asked to provide feedback. Had the seller left me negative feedback, I'd have left him some as well. And all my feedback is exceedingly positive, because I always pay immediately upon committing to buy, other than those very few times I had to cancel....CHCKL CHCKL LOL!!!!!
Oh yeah if the seller wishes to make it easy and not hold you to it they can and some will work with you, but some wont and will get plum ugly about it....
Myself I would work with someone but I know people that would be a jerk about it and cause someone to get a black mark by their name... nobody wants that.

I know I wouldn't...!

Map

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
Hate to be so indecisive but regardless if paypal will or won't approve me, I think I am going to go ahead and get a 33cc gas motor kit for a bike, I wish I could find a local store or at least one in the US that sell these but these are the kits I'm currently looking at,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33CC-GAS-Mo...576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485fe722e0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33CC-GAS-Mo...143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56661eaa37

I can't to call the DMV here and ask if 33cc is the max for peddle assisted motor bikes heh, if its 49cc, I"d probably start looking at 4-stroke 49cc motor kits like,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/49CC-4-Stro...816?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e7315e78

I know most feel that cops are not that hard on people that ride such bikes but I honestly don't want to take the chance I end up finding the one cop that is, I can't afford a ticket or getting the bike taken, I just don't want to take the chance, because I have that kind of bad luck heh.

going electric will have to be a future build, which I'll be happy to come back and ask plenty of more questions about, when that time comes, for now, its more then likely I'll be getting one of the kits I linked above, though I'd be happy to buy a kit in the US if any one knows of such a kit at such a price, a 33cc motor bike kit at those prices some where heh.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The second kit you listed link to, has me a bit puzzled about where the engine actually mounts onto the bike....

The first one I believe mounts the engine doen low on the left side of the rear wheel, honestly those two engines are gonna be way under powered for a big fella, but if you ride on mostly flat ground and dont mind going at a max speed of maybe 20mph they will get you down the road much easier than peddling the bike for sure.

Best wishes

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
Yeah, I'm not looking to go 30 + sense that'd be against the law with no DL here, 20 would be fine, honestly I'd risk it if there were actually 33cc motors out there that look like the 49 and 66cc motors out there, but all the 33cc motors out there don't look a like.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yeah, I'm not looking to go 30 + sense that'd be against the law with no DL here, 20 would be fine, honestly I'd risk it if there were actually 33cc motors out there that look like the 49 and 66cc motors out there, but all the 33cc motors out there don't look a like.
One issue you mmight run into is that these engines can be quite underpowered when you go under 49cc's which means they may top out at around 20 to 25 mph like you want but you'll be pedaling a lot to go up any incline or may need to pedal assist it up to speed, but you Can go with a bigger engine and gear it down with a larger rear sprocket like the 50 or 56 tooth... The 50 tooth should get you around 25 mph with a 49cc China Girl type engine with decent acceleration and hill climb, same for the smaller 4 strokers too. But gearing it down will give you a lot more flexability to which engine you want to buy as well as keeping your budget low, the only real requirement would be that which ever kit you go with would need to be chain or belt driven and not friction driven.... A 49cc China Girl or 4 stroke engine geared to top out at 20 to 25mph would have all the climbing power you'd need once broken in, as well as excellent acceleration, even from a dead stop and a 66cc would accelerate or climb even better.

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
One issue you mmight run into is that these engines can be quite underpowered when you go under 49cc's which means they may top out at around 20 to 25 mph like you want but you'll be pedaling a lot to go up any incline or may need to pedal assist it up to speed, but you Can go with a bigger engine and gear it down with a larger rear sprocket like the 50 or 56 tooth... The 50 tooth should get you around 25 mph with a 49cc China Girl type engine with decent acceleration and hill climb, same for the smaller 4 strokers too. But gearing it down will give you a lot more flexability to which engine you want to buy as well as keeping your budget low, the only real requirement would be that which ever kit you go with would need to be chain or belt driven and not friction driven.... A 49cc China Girl or 4 stroke engine geared to top out at 20 to 25mph would have all the climbing power you'd need once broken in, as well as excellent acceleration, even from a dead stop and a 66cc would accelerate or climb even better.
I'd love to go that high of a cc trust me, I'm very much worried about how underpowered a 33cc is going to be but there is no way I could afford a $360 ticket if I have the misfortune of a cop deciding to pull me over and asking me what the cc of my motor is and if I have DL and I tend to be very honest some times, even when it hurts me heh.

Though something I just wondered about, once the cc of a motor requires a DL, does it also require vehicle insurance?

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I'd imagine you'd need some kind of liability insurance if it was to be licensed and on public roads, but the good thing about motorcycle insurance is that liability is usually only around $100 or so a year... All 3 of my motorcycles together come out to just under $300 per year for liability insurance, and they're 1400, 883, and 500cc bikes.

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
Hm, well, if you had to decide between a 33cc 4-stroke motor kit and a 48v 500 - 1000w kit done as cheap as possible, which would you choose?

I keep flopping between gas and electric, electric would force me to buy every thing but the batteries and charger then wait months later to afford the batteries and charger but from the feeling I get reading all the very helpful posts, thanks again guys, I get the feeling that I'd get a lot more out of a electric kit then I would with a gas with the law restricts on gas bike kits, though I'm not sure, so now I'm starting to think maybe I should just get what I can now of a electric kit, then save up for the rest the following months.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
If a cop ASKS you what cc it is, tell him it's legal. The engine has some identifying stickers and plates, but they're all easily removable and you can make a tag for it that says 33cc or whatever. I would go with a 49cc 2 stroke kit and gear it down, get a stamped plate for the engine that says whatever cc, and you would be fine. The only way the cop can prove it's not is if he physically takes your engine apart and measures the bore and stroke, which even if he were inclined to, he would not have the tools on hand to do so.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Personally that's what I'd do, just stamp under the cylinder 33 or 49cc so when or if they look they'll see that and 99% of the time they'll buy right into it unless they got a 66cc bike at home and know these things really well... which is highly unlikely... Then if they ask for engine size for any reason, you can say "it says 33cc on the side of the engine" that way you're not lying, you just told him what it says on the engine and not what size it really is... An aluminum nameplate with the displacement stamped on it and riveted onto one of the case covers works very well for that trick too... and they wouldn't ask you to tear down your engine to prove anything either... not unless you get stopped and try to run from them or just committed a major crime and use it as your getaway... lol
But realistically, they'll usually buy into whatever you tell them as long as there's no markings saying the real size that they can see...

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
How do you gear down a motor?

and would this work with the 4-stroke motor or would most cops guess it'd have to be more then 33cc?

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
You don't gear down the engine, just swap out the rear sprocket for one with more teeth... pretty easy actually, you may need a longer chain but chains are cheap, and there's usualy more chain than you need in the kits, I had to cut about 8" off my chain to get it to fit mine, and if you do mess up and cut it too short, just add in an extra master link and add more chain to it.

I've even done that on one of my motorcycles I had before since I had opne sprocket for daily riding and another for faster acceleration, even tho the acceleration sprocket only had 4 more teeth, the engine rpm was way high for normal highway cruising... felt like it was in 4th gear all the time when cruising at 65 or 70 instead of 5th, but it would burn up the 1/4 mile a lot better. The cool part was that I could switch sproclets in about 15 minutes, take it to the strip and race it, then come home and swap sprockets, shorten my chain, and I'm ready for the daily ride to work nice and comfortably.

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
Ah I see, where would I buy this larger sprocket, which one should I buy to gear it down, would I have to drill new holes in it to work with the kit or?

I'd hate to ask you to find me a link but I'd hate it even more if I got it wrong, hope you understand heh.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
The ebay link is for a pocket bike, won't work with a bicycle engine kit. The one from gasbike is correct, but I wouldn't buy anything from them. They screw a lot of people over and get away with it. First class swindlers.

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
Alright, where should I get this 2 or 4 stroke kit and how many teeth should the sprocket I get have?

I'm guessing Dax, that seems to be every one's favorite.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
the 2 stroke kits usually come with a 44 tooth rear sprocket, but you can buy a 50 or 56 tooth with the same hole pattern if needed... These all use the 9 hole sprockets and Dzx should have a few larger ones on his site like the 50, the 56, and maybe even a 60 tooth, but the 50 tooth is a pretty big difference in gearing and may net you around 20 to 25mph top speed with really good acceleration and hill climb, the 56 tooth will probably top out under 20mph on a 26 inch wheel, but should top out about the same as a 50 on a 29" wheel, The 56 is more for areas where there are steeper hills etc and when speed isn't important, probably worth about 15 ot 17 mph on a stock china girl in a 26 inch bike. Adding a sprocket on the rear wheel with a few more teeth has a pretty big effect on both top speed and acceleration, you'll feel it accelerate much better, but the top speed will be noticeably less as well.
I'd shoot for a 50 tooth rear sprocket with the 49 or 66cc China Girl kit to keep you under 25 mph on a 26" bike, use the 56 tooth only if you're installing on a 29er.