pedal

GoldenMotor.com

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
the place where the pedal screws on to the crank, the crank threads are striped about a quarter way through screwing in the pedal,what can i do to hold my pedal in place? , epoxy, wood glue silicon? im not sure, help would be much apprecitaed :)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Make sure you have the right pedal there is a right and left hand threads on them Then try to put it in form back side might clean up the threads that way some.
If it only a quarter of the way it still should hold just don't over tighten it JB weld would be about the only thing that might held it, other wise might have to change the crank..................Curt

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
if there are 3/4 of the threads that are still good, do as curtisfox mentioned and then if you get the pedal to where it will screw into the crank all the way, then back it out until it is about half way out and then I would put a healthy amount of RED Loctite on the threads and screw it back in, let it sit for a few hours and then it should be solid from here on out, RED loctite is some very strong stuff once it is set in threads and would be my fix for that problem if there are enough good threads left to keep the pedal from wobbling around once it is screwed in tight.

Map
reddd

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
One piece crank or three. Steel or aluminum? And JB Weld, glue, won't hold it no matter what you have. There's a lot of force applied to a bicycle's pedals. You do not want one to come off while you're pedaling hard. Especially if you have a men's frame. :(

Try the suggestions from mapbike but to be safe I'd start looking for new parts.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
One piece crank or three. Steel or aluminum? And JB Weld, glue, won't hold it no matter what you have. There's a lot of force applied to a bicycle's pedals. You do not want one to come off while you're pedaling hard. Especially if you have a men's frame. :(

Try the suggestions from mapbike but to be safe I'd start looking for new parts.

Tom
Ditto.....................!

No kind of fix will be as good as new cranks unless you have a welder and then you have a bullet proof fix.

Map

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
most bike shops will have a pedal tap- you can get that run through to clear any obstructions- 3/4 the thread left should still give you a pretty good grip I'd think, unless the part that's gone is REALLY REALLY opened up.

the threading from the other way is a good suggestion too, and may be enough

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
All good suggestions......

But I'd replace that crank.

It's just plain easy with a one-piece. Three-piece is a bit more difficult. But a bike shop will do it if you don't want to.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Time to replace the crank, just drop by my place and pull a crank out of one of my old frames, Just kidding bro, thats a long way to swim for a crank. I say find a junker bike and steal the crank out of it.
fatdaddy.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
Replace the crank is the best way. you can try to drill and tap the pedal end, screw it in as best you can then use a good grade Allen cap screw with a lock washer and a flat washer that might hold the pedal tight to the arm then again it might not

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And thank you, Kodiak, for getting back with your resolve. It's always good to hear that things worked out and how the fix was done.

Have fun, ride safe.

Tom